About This Chapter
Who's it for?
This unit of our AP European History Homeschool course will benefit any student who is trying to learn about the rise of fascism. There is no faster or easier way to learn about European fascism prior to World War II. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who require an efficient, self-paced course of study to learn about German and Italian fascism and how Adolf Hitler and Benito Mussolini came to power.
- Homeschool parents looking to spend less time preparing lessons and more time teaching.
- Homeschool parents who need a history curriculum that appeals to multiple learning types (visual or auditory).
- Gifted students and students with learning differences.
How it works:
- Students watch a short, fun video lesson that covers a specific unit topic.
- Students and parents can refer to the video transcripts to reinforce learning.
- Short quizzes and a Rise of Fascism unit exam confirm understanding or identify any topics that require review.
Rise of Fascism Unit Objectives:
- Summarize the defining characteristics of fascism in Western Europe.
- Describe how Benito Mussolini established a fascist-corporatist government.
- Explain the spread of fascism in Germany under Hitler.
- Discuss the fall of Western democracies prior to World War II.
- Understand the influence of foreign governments in the Spanish Civil War.
1. Fascism: Characteristics, History & Rise
Nearly all fascist governments exhibit three basic tenets: authoritarianism, nationalism, and xenophobia. Explore these concepts, the history and rise of fascism, and examples from Hitler's regime in Germany.
2. The Rise of Benito Mussolini and Italian Fascism: Facts & Timeline
Benito Mussolini was the leader of the Fascist Party in Italy in the early 1900s. Learn background facts about Italian fascism, what Italy was like under fascism, a timeline of Mussolini's rise to power, and the fall of fascism.
3. German Fascism Under Hitler
The rise of fascism in Germany after World War I was driven by Nazi leader, Adolph Hitler, who promised to make the country great again while focusing blame for an economic depression that gripped the country on the Jews. Explore the rise of Nazi fascism in Germany under Hitler, the resulting horrors of the Holocaust, and review the events that led to the end of the Third Reich.
4. The Fall of Western Democracies: Nations, Events & Replacement Governments
The fall of Western democracies and the ensuing replacement governments that came to be would help to cause or be the fall out of WWII. Learn more about the rise of fascism in Italy, Germany and Spain and the spread of communism.
5. The Spanish Civil War & the Influence of Foreign Powers: Definition, Summary & Timeline
Civil war broke out in Spain in 1936 between nationalists and socialists, which resulted in a fascist dictatorship that persisted through the 1970s. Learn the context of 1930s Spain, and how the aftermath of the conflict influenced foreign power balances, leading to hundreds of thousands of deaths.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the AP European History: Homeschool Curriculum course
- AP European History - The Renaissance Era: Homeschool Curriculum
- Renaissance Philosophy, Art & Literature: Homeschool Curriculum
- Reformation Roots & Teachings: Homeschool Curriculum
- The Reformation's Effects Across Europe: Homeschool Curriculum
- AP European History - Wars of Religion: Homeschool Curriculum
- The Age of Expansion: Homeschool Curriculum
- The Rise of Monarchical Nation States: Homeschool Curriculum
- English History - 1450 to 1700: Homeschool Curriculum
- The Scientific Revolution and Enlightenment: Homeschool Curriculum
- AP European History - 18th Century Powers: Homeschool Curriculum
- AP European History - The French Revolution: Homeschool Curriculum
- The Napoleonic Empire: Homeschool Curriculum
- 19th Century Revolutionary Movements: Homeschool Curriculum
- The First Industrial Revolution: Homeschool Curriculum
- Unifications of Nation States in the 19th Century: Homeschool Curriculum
- AP European History - 1871 to 1914: Homeschool Curriculum
- AP European History - World War I: Homeschool Curriculum
- AP European History - The 1920s & 1930s: Homeschool Curriculum
- Russia After World War I: Homeschool Curriculum
- AP European History - World War II: Homeschool Curriculum
- Post-War Europe: Homeschool Curriculum
- AP European History - Cold War Europe: Homeschool Curriculum
- Integration - Europe after the Soviet Union: Homeschool Curriculum
- Portions of the AP European History Exam: Homeschool Curriculum
- AP Exam Writing Strategies: Homeschool Curriculum
- How to Develop & Write an AP Exam Essay: Homeschool Curriculum