About This Chapter
AP European History: Unifications of Nation States in the 19th Century - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Through the video lessons featured in this chapter, you can learn about the growth of nationalism in Italy and Germany and the territorial losses and acquisitions that took place in France during the 19th century. History instructors provide all the details you need to know about how the United Kingdom (UK) was created and what led to Ireland becoming part of the UK. This chapter also covers major territorial developments in Russia and changes that took place in the Ottoman Empire. After watching the videos in this chapter, you'll have knowledge of:
- Timeline of unification efforts in Italy and Germany
- Losses and acquisitions in Russia and France
- Efforts involved in the creation of the UK
- Creation of Austria-Hungary
- Political developments of the Ottoman Empire
|The Unification of Italy: Summary, Timeline & Leaders||Describes how an Italian identity emerged in the 1800s. Discusses Camillo Cavour's role in the unification process as well as the efforts of other leaders to encourage the creation of this new state.|
|The Unification of Germany: Summary, Timeline & Events||Offers a timeline of the major events that led to German nationalism and details Otto Von Bismarck's crucial efforts in unifying the country. Summarizes events of the Seven Weeks' War and the Franco-Prussian War.|
|Territorial Developments in France: Losses & Acquisitions||Examines the major events taking place in the 19th century that contributed to the loss of certain lands by the French. Provides details of the territorial acquisitions made by France during this period.|
|The Creation of the United Kingdom and the Incorporation of Ireland||Provides a timeline of critical activities and events that led to the creation of the United Kingdom. Discusses how Ireland became part of the UK.|
|Territorial Developments in Russia: Losses & Acquisitions||Summarizes the political activities contributing to territorial losses and acquisitions in 19th-century Russia.|
|The Unification of Austria: German Exclusion & Creation of Austria-Hungary||Examines the reasons for Austria's exclusion from German unification. Details events leading up to the formation of Austria-Hungary.|
|The Ottoman Empire: Changes, Politics & Developments||Delves into the territorial changes that marked this period in the Ottoman Empire's history. Reviews political developments and leadership changes throughout the 19th century.|
1. The Unification of Italy: Summary, Timeline & Leaders
In this lesson, we explore the piecemeal unification of Italy which took place in the 19th century. Created in part by the brilliant statesmen Camillo Benso di Cavour, Italy as we know it did not fully take shape until 1870.
2. The Unification of Germany: Summary, Timeline & Events
In this lesson, we explore the unification of Germany in the 1860s and 1870s, largely accomplished through the statecraft of the Chancellor of Prussia and later Germany, Otto von Bismarck.
3. Territorial Developments in France: Losses & Acquisitions
In this lesson, we explore the wild fluctuations the borders of France experienced during the 19th century, from its European domination during the Napoleonic wars to its losses under the new German Empire.
4. The Creation of the United Kingdom and the Incorporation of Ireland
In this lesson, we examine the piecemeal creation of the United Kingdom throughout the late Medieval and Early Modern periods as well as the tumultuous history of English control and partitioning of Ireland.
5. Territorial Developments in Russia: Losses & Acquisitions
In this lesson, we explore the territorial acquisitions and losses of 19th-century Russia, from the Napoleonic Wars and its gains via the Congress of Vienna to the Crimean War.
6. The Unification of Austria: German Exclusion & Creation of Austria-Hungary
In this lesson, we explore how Austria was excluded by Prussia and the other German states from the new German Confederation, as well as the steps it took to maintain its international influence, including the eventual creation of Austria-Hungary.
7. The Ottoman Empire: Changes, Politics & Developments
In this lesson, we explore the problems the Ottoman Empire faced in the 19th century, and the many territorial losses it endured at the hands of Russia, Austria, and others.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP European History: Exam Prep course
- AP European History: Overview of the Renaissance
- AP European History: Renaissance Philosophy, Art & Literature
- AP European History: Reformation Roots & Teachings
- AP European History: The Reformation's Effects Across Europe
- AP European History: Wars of Religion
- AP European History: The Age of Expansion
- AP European History: The Rise of Monarchical Nation States
- AP European History: English History (1450-1700)
- AP European History: The Scientific Revolution and Enlightenment
- AP European History: 18th Century Powers
- AP European History: The French Revolution
- AP European History: The Napoleonic Empire
- AP European History: 19th Century Revolutionary Movements
- AP European History: The First Industrial Revolution
- AP European History: Europe 1871-1914
- AP European History: World War I
- AP European History: Russia After World War I
- AP European History: The 1920s & 1930s
- AP European History: The Rise of Fascism
- AP European History: World War II
- AP European History: Post-War Europe
- AP European History: Cold War Europe
- AP European History: Integration: Europe after the Soviet Union
- Portions of the AP European History Exam
- Developing and Writing Your AP Exam Essay
- AP European History Flashcards