About This Chapter
Who's it for?
This unit of our AP European History Homeschool course will benefit any student who is trying to learn about the wars of religion. There is no faster or easier way to learn about European religious wars. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who require an efficient, self-paced course of study to learn about the 30 Years' War, 80 Years' War and peasant revolts.
- Homeschool parents looking to spend less time preparing lessons and more time teaching.
- Homeschool parents who need a history curriculum that appeals to multiple learning types (visual or auditory).
- Gifted students and students with learning differences.
How it works:
- Students watch a short, fun video lesson that covers a specific unit topic.
- Students and parents can refer to the video transcripts to reinforce learning.
- Short quizzes and a Wars of Religion unit exam confirm understanding or identify any topics that require review.
Wars of Religion Unit Objectives:
- Learn about the peasant revolts that took place in Germany during the Protestant Reformation.
- Discuss Dutch efforts to become independent of Spain and English-Spanish conflicts.
- Explain the events of the 30 Years' War and its effect on the Holy Roman Emperor.
- Understand the terms of the Peace of Augsburg and Peace of Westphalia.
- Describe how French policies led to Catholic-Huguenot conflicts.
1. The Reformation's Impact on Germany: The Peasant Wars
The Reformation was a time when Christianity was split into Catholicism and Protestantism. This lesson explores the major changes brought about by the Reformation in Germany in the 16th century.
2. Religious Warfare Across Europe During the Reformation
This lesson will explain the different wars which waged across Europe during the Reformation. It will begin with the German Peasants' Revolt and continue through the 30 Years' War, ending with the Peace of Westphalia.
3. The 80 Years War and the Spanish Armada
This lesson will explain the relationship between the 80 Years' War and the Spanish Armada. It will focus on the Netherlands' struggle for independence from Spain while also describing the role England played in the conflict.
4. Westphalia and Peace of Augsburg: States' Rise to Sovereignty and Decline of the Empire
This lesson focuses on the Holy Roman Empire during the Reformation. As it highlights the Peace of Augsburg and the Peace of Westphalia, it will illustrate the rise of state power, and the decline of the empire.
5. The 30 Years War: Catholics vs. Protestants
This lesson will explore the reasons for the 30 Years' War. It will highlight the different phases of the war while also explaining why most of Europe took up battle against the Holy Roman Empire and the Hapsburg Dynasty.
6. The French Wars of Religion: Catholics vs. the Huguenots
The Protestant Reformation was so popular and controversial in Europe that it sometimes led to war. This lesson explores the violent effect of the Reformation in France as war erupted between the Catholics and the Protestants.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP European History: Homeschool Curriculum course
- AP European History - The Renaissance Era: Homeschool Curriculum
- Renaissance Philosophy, Art & Literature: Homeschool Curriculum
- Reformation Roots & Teachings: Homeschool Curriculum
- The Reformation's Effects Across Europe: Homeschool Curriculum
- The Age of Expansion: Homeschool Curriculum
- The Rise of Monarchical Nation States: Homeschool Curriculum
- English History - 1450 to 1700: Homeschool Curriculum
- The Scientific Revolution and Enlightenment: Homeschool Curriculum
- AP European History - 18th Century Powers: Homeschool Curriculum
- AP European History - The French Revolution: Homeschool Curriculum
- The Napoleonic Empire: Homeschool Curriculum
- 19th Century Revolutionary Movements: Homeschool Curriculum
- The First Industrial Revolution: Homeschool Curriculum
- Unifications of Nation States in the 19th Century: Homeschool Curriculum
- AP European History - 1871 to 1914: Homeschool Curriculum
- AP European History - World War I: Homeschool Curriculum
- AP European History - The 1920s & 1930s: Homeschool Curriculum
- Russia After World War I: Homeschool Curriculum
- AP European History - The Rise of Fascism: Homeschool Curriculum
- AP European History - World War II: Homeschool Curriculum
- Post-War Europe: Homeschool Curriculum
- AP European History - Cold War Europe: Homeschool Curriculum
- Integration - Europe after the Soviet Union: Homeschool Curriculum
- Portions of the AP European History Exam: Homeschool Curriculum
- AP Exam Writing Strategies: Homeschool Curriculum
- How to Develop & Write an AP Exam Essay: Homeschool Curriculum