About This Chapter
AP Music Theory Exam: Question Types - Chapter Summary
It's important to understand the types of questions you will encounter on the AP Music Theory exam. By addressing aural skills and melodic/harmonic dictation, this chapter tells you everything you need to know in order to answer these types of exam questions:
- Listening to musical selections and applying aural skills
- Notating and identifying pitches and rhythm using melodic dictation
- Writing chords, inversions and voices using harmonic dictation
The lessons in this chapter are short and concise, which allows you to study as quickly and efficiently as possible. Our music instructors clearly outline the knowledge you'll need to prepare yourself for the AP test and you can practice answering types of exam questions by taking the included self-assessment quizzes.
1. AP Music Theory Exam: Aural Skills
Aural skills are an important part of mastering music theory. In this lesson, we're going to talk about the aural skills section of the AP Music Theory exam and go over a few practice strategies.
2. AP Music Theory Exam: Melodic Dictation
Have you ever listened to a melody and wanted to write it down? Could you? In this lesson, learn strategies for listening to melodies and writing what you hear through melodic dictation.
3. AP Music Theory Exam: Harmonic Dictation
Music is made of melody and harmony. But how is harmony constructed? Can you identify the notes of chords in musical phrases? In this lesson, we'll explore strategics related to harmonic dictation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP Music Theory: Exam Prep course
- AP Music Theory: Fundamentals of Music
- AP Music Theory: Rhythm, Meter, and Metric Organization
- AP Music Theory: Scales, Keys, and Modes
- AP Music Theory: Aural Skills
- AP Music Theory: Spacing, Voicing, & Position
- AP Music Theory: Intervals, Triads & Seventh Chords
- AP Music Theory: Melodic Composition
- AP Music Theory: Harmonic Composition
- AP Music Theory: Nonharmonic Tones
- AP Music Theory: Phrases & Forms
- AP Music Theory: Texture
- AP Music Theory: Performance Terms
- AP Music Theory: Voice Leading
- AP Music Theory: Songs & Genres
- AP Music Theory Flashcards