About This Chapter
AP Music Theory: Nonharmonic Tones - Chapter Summary
Study this chapter's lessons to improve your understanding of nonharmonic (embellishing) tones as you prepare for the AP Music Theory test. Having a thorough knowledge of the theory behind nonharmonic tones, you'll be equipped to answer questions on the exam related to:
- Understanding the purpose of musical ornamentation
- Defining types of embellishing tones
- Examining the function of a pedal point
These lessons deliver music theory concepts in a straightforward fashion, using clear definitions and plenty of examples to contextualize their applications in music. You'll find each topic written in standard musical notation, which will help you recognize them on the exam. A short self-assessment quiz is included at the end of each lesson so you can be sure you fully understand the material.
1. Ornamentation in Music: Trills, Turns & Nonharmonic Tones
Why would you want to write notes into your music that don't contribute to the chord structure? In this lesson, we'll answer that question and look at some popular embellishments used for musical ornamentation.
2. Embellishing Tones: Definition & Examples
Even technically perfect music can get a little dry at times. In this lesson, we'll look at one way to add a bit of ornamentation to help keep your compositions lively.
3. Pedal Point: Definition, Function & Examples
There are many ways to add drama to a composition. In this lesson, we're going to check out the pedal point, and see how it can be used to impact a piece of music.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP Music Theory: Exam Prep course
- AP Music Theory Exam: Question Types
- AP Music Theory: Fundamentals of Music
- AP Music Theory: Rhythm, Meter, and Metric Organization
- AP Music Theory: Scales, Keys, and Modes
- AP Music Theory: Aural Skills
- AP Music Theory: Spacing, Voicing, & Position
- AP Music Theory: Intervals, Triads & Seventh Chords
- AP Music Theory: Melodic Composition
- AP Music Theory: Harmonic Composition
- AP Music Theory: Phrases & Forms
- AP Music Theory: Texture
- AP Music Theory: Performance Terms
- AP Music Theory: Voice Leading
- AP Music Theory: Songs & Genres
- AP Music Theory Flashcards