About This Chapter
AP Physics 1: Systems - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter provide an overview of systems in physics. You can review topics like the atomic and molecular substructures of systems. You can also gain a better understanding of how the neutron influences how the atom functions. After completing the chapter, you should be prepared to:
- Discuss properties of the proton
- Recall the structure of the neutron
- Define quarks and describe how scientists use them
- Explain how properties of a system are determined
Each lesson is accompanied by a brief quiz to determine how much of the content you can remember. You can study all of the lessons or just focus on specific topics. To make the most of this convenient resource, you can print the quiz in worksheet form and use it to study offline.
1. Protons: Definition, Charge & Mass
Protons can be found in the nucleus of every atom. While originally it had been thought that protons were a fundamental particle, recent research has shown that protons are made of quarks. This lesson will cover the properties of the proton.
2. Neutrons: Definition & Concept
Neutrons are the big guys of the atom. This lesson explains the structure of the neutron, its properties, and some of its influences on the function of the atom.
3. What is a Quark? - Definition, Structure & Uses
Quarks are fundamental particles that are used by scientists to explain different types of phenomena. Learn more about them, subsequently testing your knowledge with a quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP Physics 1: Exam Prep course
- AP Physics 1: Vectors
- AP Physics 1: Kinematics
- AP Physics 1: Newton's Laws
- AP Physics 1: Work, Energy, & Power
- AP Physics 1: Linear Momentum
- AP Physics 1: Motion
- AP Physics 1: Oscillations
- AP Physics 1: Rotational Motion
- AP Physics 1: Electrical Forces and Fields
- AP Physics 1: Direct Current Circuits
- AP Physics 1: Mechanical Waves
- AP Physics 1 Flashcards