About This Chapter
AP Physics C: Oscillations - Chapter Summary
In this AP Physics C preparation chapter, you will get an information dump on all things oscillatory. Our instructors are experts in the field of physics and guide you through the various oscillating motions with fun videos and tons of useful examples. As you work through these video lessons you will learn:
- What the definitions and formulae for velocity, force, and acceleration are
- How Hooke's Law describes the proportionate relationship between force and displacement in harmonic motion
- How kinetic and potential energy are calculated in simple harmonic motion
- Ways to calculate and describe displacement, velocity, and acceleration in simple harmonic motion
- Methods to work through equations describing the motion of spring-block oscillators
- How SHM solutions are expressed through sine/cosine
- What equations are used to solve motion and force in pendulums
1. Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM): Definition, Formulas & Examples
After watching this video, you should be able to explain what simple harmonic motion is, describe the features of the motion, and use equations to solve simple harmonic motion problems, particularly for a mass on a spring. A short quiz will follow.
2. Hooke's Law & the Spring Constant: Definition & Equation
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what Hooke's Law is and use the equation for Hooke's Law to solve problems. A short quiz will follow.
3. Simple Harmonic Motion: Kinetic Energy & Potential Energy
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what simple harmonic motion is, describe the energy interplay involved in various situations, and use energy equations to solve simple harmonic motion problems. A short quiz will follow.
4. The Kinematics of Simple Harmonic Motion
After watching this lesson, you will be able to explain what simple harmonic motion is, and use the kinematics equations for simple harmonic motion (both conceptually and numerically) to solve problems. A short quiz will follow.
5. Spring-Block Oscillator: Vertical Motion, Frequency & Mass
After watching this video, you will be able to explain how a spring-block oscillator is an example of simple harmonic motion. You will also be able to use an equation for a spring-block oscillator that relates the frequency and mass of the block.
6. The Sinusoidal Description of Simple Harmonic Motion
Watch this video to learn about simple harmonic motion. Learn the sinusoidal equations we use to solve problems of simple harmonic motion, and test your knowledge afterwards with a short quiz.
7. Pendulums in Physics: Definition & Equations
After watching this lesson, you will be able to explain what a pendulum is, why it is an example of simple harmonic motion, and use equations to solve pendulum problems. A short quiz will follow.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP Physics C - Mechanics: Exam Prep course
- AP Physics C: Vectors
- AP Physics C: Kinematics
- AP Physics C: Acceleration, Velocity, & Gravity
- AP Physics C: Newton's First Law of Motion
- AP Physics C: Newton's Second Law of Motion
- AP Physics C: Newton's Third Law of Motion
- AP Physics C: Work, Energy, & Power
- AP Physics C: Linear Momentum
- AP Physics C: Rotational Motion
- AP Physics C: Laws of Gravitation
- AP Physics C - Mechanics Flashcards