About This Chapter
AP World History: Arts, Literature, and Culture in the 20th Century - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter cover many of the influential and important artists and writers of the 20th century. Sports and culture are also covered. Once you finish the lessons, you should be able to:
- Identify prominent artists and famous works of the 20th century
- Discuss the artists, poets, and music of the Harlem Renaissance
- List reggae artists and instruments
- Share facts about modern India
- Outline the history of the Olympics
- Summarize the origins and evolution of soccer, including the history of the World Cup
As you review these lessons, our expert instructors are available to answer your questions. The lessons are available on any Internet-connected device, and you can work when it is convenient for you. Use the lesson quizzes to make sure you are understanding the lessons and to check your progress.
1. Prominent Artists & Works of the 20th Century
In this lesson, we will explore the world of 20th century art. We'll look at some overall characteristics of this century of art and then explore various trends and movements in the art world.
2. Famous Artists of the 20th Century
The twentieth century experienced many changes, including a burst of artistic movements that contributed to art in a startling fashion. In this lesson, we will look at famous artists of the 20th century, as well as the movements they were members of.
3. Art and Culture of the Harlem Renaissance: Artists, Poets, Authors & Music
In this lesson, we will learn about an artistic and intellectual movement called the Harlem Renaissance. We will identify the major figures associated with the movement and identify their contributions.
4. What Is Reggae? - Definition, Artists & Instruments
This lesson will define reggae music within the context of 20th century Jamaican music. Important artists, related genres, and periods of development will be explored, with special attention paid to the critical decades of the 1960s and 1970s.
5. Modern India: Facts & Culture
Learn about the diverse and intriguing culture of India. In this lesson, discover some facts about this Asian nation and explore different aspects of its modern culture, including language, religion, food, politics, and Bollywood films.
6. The Olympic Games: History & Developments
Everyone loves the Olympics, but where did this tradition come from? In this lesson we'll cover the creation of these modern games and how they have developed over the last century.
7. The Origins & Evolution of Soccer
The modern origins of soccer are found in 19th century England. Since then, it has spread to every corner of of the earth and is currently the most popular sport in the world. In this article, learn about its development and evolution.
8. World Cup Soccer: History & Facts
This lesson dives into the exciting realm of World Cup soccer, better known as the game of football throughout the world. Within, you'll learn the history of the competition and a number of fun facts from World Cup trivia.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP World History: Exam Prep course
- AP World History: Foundational Concepts
- AP World History: Major Belief Systems
- AP World History: Ancient Times
- AP World History: Ancient Middle East
- AP World History: Ancient China, Africa, India & America
- AP World History: Ancient Greece
- AP World History: The Rise of the Roman Republic
- AP World History: The Fall of the Roman Empire
- AP World History: The Dark Ages
- AP World History: Early Middle Ages
- AP World History: The Medieval Warm Period
- AP World History: The High Middle Ages
- AP World History: Asia, Africa & America (1000-1300 CE)
- AP World History: The Late Middle Ages
- AP World History: The Renaissance
- AP World History: The Age of Exploration
- AP World History: The Reformation Across Europe
- AP World History: The Enlightenment
- AP World History: Political, Technological, and Intellectual Developments (1750-1914)
- AP World History: Colonialism
- AP World History: Nationalism
- AP World History: Imperialism
- AP World History: World War I
- AP World History: World War II
- AP World History: Industrialization of the Western World
- AP World History: The Cold War and Other 20th Century World History
- AP World History: A Globalized World - 1980 & Beyond
- Portions of the AP World History Exam
- How to Write a Good Essay on Your AP Exam
- AP World History Flashcards
- Additional AP World History Flashcards