About This Chapter
AP World History: Colonialism - Chapter Summary
If you need a resource you can use to study colonialism before you take the AP World History exam, this chapter can help. Watch videos about the English Civil War and the rise of Cromwell's theocracy. Once you've completed this chapter, you should be ready to answer questions in these areas:
- Outlining the conflict between the Christians and Turks by sea in the Holy Leagues
- Detailing the Long War and the conflict between the Turks and Christians by land
- Discussing colonialism as it occurred across Europe
- Understanding the commercial revolution and the economic impact of colonization on Europe
- Defining the Berlin Conference and the purpose of the colonization of Africa
Our experts are available to answer any questions that you might have when you submit them through the Dashboard. Before, during or after completing these video lessons, take the self-assessment quiz included with each one. The video tabs feature allows you to navigate through the videos easily as needed.
1. Holy Leagues: Christians vs. Turks by Sea
This lesson focuses on the formation of Holy Leagues and the battle between Christian and Turkish forces in the Mediterranean Sea during the Sixteenth Century.
2. The Long War: Christians vs. Turks by Land
The Long War was a battle between the Ottomans and the Habsburg Empire. This lesson covers who fought on each side as well as some of the important events of the conflict.
3. Colonialism Across Europe
In the late 1400s, European explorers learned how to cross the Atlantic Ocean. This lesson explores the impact of the colonization of the Americas by Europeans and the reasons they emigrated.
4. The English Civil War and the Rise of Cromwell's Theocracy
This lesson will describe the events that led to the rise of Oliver Cromwell's theocracy. It will highlight the English Civil War, the execution of King Charles and the oppressive rule of Cromwell.
5. The Commercial Revolution: Economic Impact of Exploration and Colonization on Europe
In this lesson, we'll discuss the Commercial Revolution sparked by Europe's interaction with the New World colonies. We'll learn about how mercantilism, banking and joint-stock companies transformed the economic face of the European continent.
6. The Colonization of Africa & the Berlin Conference: Definition & Purpose
This lesson will explore the 19th and 20th century colonization of Africa, which forever changed the political landscape of the continent. In doing so, it will highlight the Berlin Conference and the Principle of Effectivity.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP World History: Exam Prep course
- AP World History: Foundational Concepts
- AP World History: Major Belief Systems
- AP World History: Ancient Times
- AP World History: Ancient Middle East
- AP World History: Ancient China, Africa, India & America
- AP World History: Ancient Greece
- AP World History: Hellenism and Athenian Philosophy
- AP World History: The Rise of the Roman Republic
- AP World History: The Fall of the Roman Empire
- AP World History: The Dark Ages
- AP World History: Early Middle Ages
- AP World History: The Medieval Warm Period
- AP World History: The High Middle Ages
- AP World History: Asia, Africa & America (1000-1300 CE)
- AP World History: The Late Middle Ages
- AP World History: The Renaissance
- AP World History: The Age of Exploration
- AP World History: The Reformation Across Europe
- AP World History: The Elizabethan Era
- AP World History: The Enlightenment
- AP World History: Political, Technological, and Intellectual Developments (1750-1914)
- AP World History: Imperialism
- AP World History: World War I
- AP World History: World War II
- AP World History: The Cold War and Other 20th Century World History
- AP World History: A Globalized World - 1980 & Beyond
- Portions of the AP World History Exam
- How to Write a Good Essay on Your AP Exam
- AP World History Flashcards
- Additional AP World History Flashcards