About This Chapter
AP World History: Industrialization of the Western World - Chapter Summary
Use the lessons in this chapter to help you review as you prepare for the AP World History exam. The videos cover the Agricultural Revolution and discuss the effects of industrialization and urbanization around the world. After you complete the lessons in this chapter, you should be ready to do the following:
- Identify major inventions of the Agricultural and Industrial Revolutions
- Discuss the causes of the first Industrial Revolution
- Explain how industrialization spread around the world
- Define urbanization and other social and economical impacts of the Industrial Revolution
Our experienced instructors guide you through each lesson to help you feel prepared for the exam. You can use the lesson quizzes to see how your review is progressing. Access these materials at any time through any Internet-connected device. You can even ask questions if you need extra help.
1. The Agricultural Revolution: Timeline, Causes, Inventions & Effects
The Agricultural Revolution in 18th-century Europe was a time of growth and improvement for the farming and agriculture industry. Learn more about the timeline, causes, inventions, and effects of new farming techniques, such as crop rotation and improved livestock utilization, which led to new types of crops, land patterns, and social change throughout Europe.
2. Causes of the First Industrial Revolution: Examples & Summary
The First Industrial Revolution was caused by a variety of economic factors. Learn about the causes, examples, & summary of the First Industrial Revolution and how advancements in technology/transportation impacted the spread of industrialization.
3. Inventions of the Industrial Revolution: Examples & Summary
The inventions of the Industrial Revolution greatly contributed to Britain's rapid progress. Explore examples of these inventions through a summary of the various industries they helped such as transportation, cotton production, and iron production.
4. Industrialization Spreads Around the World
In this lesson, we will learn about how industrialization spread from Great Britain to other parts of the world. We will highlight key terms, figures, and developments in this process.
5. Urbanization & Other Effects of the Industrial Revolution: Social & Economic Impacts
The industrial revolution had a global impact on society by changing the way goods were manufactured and sold to consumers but also its notorious underbelly of child labor and rampant abuses and exploitation of workers. Learn the social and economic impacts of urbanization, improved working conditions, the creation of trade unions, and reform of the public health and labor sectors.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the AP World History: Exam Prep course
- AP World History: Foundational Concepts
- AP World History: Major Belief Systems
- AP World History: Ancient Middle East
- AP World History: Ancient China, Africa, India & America
- AP World History: Ancient Greece
- AP World History: The Rise of the Roman Republic
- AP World History: The Fall of the Roman Empire
- AP World History: The Dark Ages
- AP World History: Early Middle Ages
- AP World History: The Medieval Warm Period
- AP World History: The High Middle Ages
- AP World History: Asia, Africa & America (1000-1300 CE)
- AP World History: The Late Middle Ages
- AP World History: The Renaissance
- AP World History: The Age of Exploration
- AP World History: The Reformation Across Europe
- AP World History: The Enlightenment
- AP World History: Political, Technological, and Intellectual Developments (1750-1914)
- AP World History: Colonialism
- AP World History: Nationalism
- AP World History: Imperialism
- Patterns of Human Migration
- AP World History: World War I
- AP World History: World War II
- AP World History: The Cold War and Other 20th Century World History
- AP World History: A Globalized World - 1980 & Beyond
- Portions of the AP World History Exam
- How to Write a Good Essay on Your AP Exam
- AP World History Flashcards
- Additional AP World History Flashcards
- AP World History Essay Tips & Practice