About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering AP world history material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to learn AP world history. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding the Reformation or conflicts during the Elizabethan era
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning history (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about the Elizabethan era
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra history learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Elizabethan era chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Elizabethan era chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any Elizabethan era question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in an Elizabethan era unit of a standard AP world history course. Topics covered include:
- Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth
- Shakespeare's life and works
- The 30 Years' War
- The Spanish Armada
- The Habsburg Dynasty
1. The 30 Years War: Catholics vs. Protestants
This lesson will explore the reasons for the 30 Years' War. It will highlight the different phases of the war while also explaining why most of Europe took up battle against the Holy Roman Empire and the Hapsburg Dynasty.
2. Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth: Catholic vs. Anglican
This lesson will explain the conflict between Mary, Queen of Scots and Elizabeth I of England that eventually led to Mary's execution. It will also highlight the conflict between Catholicism and Protestant England.
3. Queen Elizabeth I and England's Golden Age
This lesson will focus on the reign of Queen Elizabeth I of England, known as England's Golden Age. It will highlight England's advancements in economic growth, the sciences, the arts, and exploration under the lone rule of Elizabeth, the Virgin Queen.
4. Introduction to Shakespeare: Life and Works
This video provides a crash course introduction to William Shakespeare's life, plays, and poetry. From 'Two Gentlemen of Verona' to 'The Tempest', we'll give you a timeline of his works and quick descriptions of what you need to know to identify them.
5. The Netherlands During the Reformation
This lesson will focus on the Protestant Reformation and its effect on the Netherlands. It will highlight the role Protestantism, especially in the form of Calvinism, played in the Netherlands' fight for freedom from Catholic Spain.
6. The 80 Years War and the Spanish Armada
This lesson will explain the relationship between the 80 Years' War and the Spanish Armada. It will focus on the Netherlands' struggle for independence from Spain while also describing the role England played in the conflict.
7. Westphalia and Peace of Augsburg: States' Rise to Sovereignty and Decline of the Empire
This lesson focuses on the Holy Roman Empire during the Reformation. As it highlights the Peace of Augsburg and the Peace of Westphalia, it will illustrate the rise of state power, and the decline of the empire.
8. The History of the House of Bourbon in the Reformation
This lesson will explain the effects and events of the Protestant Reformation within France. It will discuss the dealings of the French Protestants, known as Huguenots, with the royal House of Bourbon.
9. The Habsburg Dynasty in the Reformation
This lesson focuses on the Habsburg Dynasty during the Reformation. It will highlight the dealings of the Holy Roman Emperors with Protestantism, while also explaining the Reformation's effect on Spain.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP World History: Help and Review course
- AP World History - Foundational Concepts: Help and Review
- AP World History - Major Belief Systems: Help and Review
- AP World History - Ancient Times: Help and Review
- AP World History - Ancient Middle East: Help and Review
- AP World History - Ancient China, Africa, India & America: Help and Review
- AP World History - Ancient Greece: Help and Review
- AP World History - Hellenism and Athenian Philosophy: Help and Review
- AP World History - The Rise of the Roman Republic: Help and Review
- AP World History - The Fall of the Roman Empire: Help and Review
- AP World History - The Dark Ages: Help and Review
- AP World History - Early Middle Ages: Help and Review
- AP World History - The Medieval Warm Period: Help and Review
- AP World History - The High Middle Ages: Help and Review
- AP World History - Asia, Africa & America (1000-1300 CE): Help and Review
- AP World History - The Late Middle Ages: Help and Review
- AP World History - The Renaissance: Help and Review
- AP World History - The Age of Exploration: Help and Review
- AP World History - The Reformation Across Europe: Help and Review
- AP World History - Imperialism: Help and Review
- AP World History - The Enlightenment: Help and Review
- AP World History - Political, Technological & Intellectual History: Help & Review
- AP World History - Colonialism: Help and Review
- AP World History - World War I: Help and Review
- AP World History - World War II: Help and Review
- AP World History - The Cold War: Help & Review
- AP World History - Major 20th Century Events: Help & Review
- AP World History - A Globalized World - 1980 & Beyond: Help and Review
- Portions of the AP World History Exam: Help and Review
- AP World History Exam Essay Writing: Help and Review
- Essay Writing Your AP World History Exam: Help & Review
- Empires & Inventions of the Ancient Near East
- Inter-Continental Organizations
- The First Global Age
- World Wars & Unrest
- Global Conflict & Developments Since 1945
- Political Science Vocabulary & Concepts