About This Chapter
AP World History: The Elizabethan Era - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll find video lessons highlighting important topics related to the Elizabethan era. Get ready for the AP World History exam by watching videos about Queen Elizabeth I, the Spanish Armada and the Golden Age of England. Once you finish this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Detail the Catholic and Anglican conflict between Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth
- Outline the life and works of Shakespeare
- Discuss the Netherlands during the Reformation
- Identify key events of the 80 Years War
- Explain Westphalia and the Peace of Augsburg
- Analyze the conflict between the Catholics and Protestants during the 30 Years War
You can work at your own pace as you study this chapter, reviewing as many or as few of the lessons as you need to to feel prepared for test day. Each video is easy to navigate using the timeline feature so you can access just the information you choose to study. If you have any questions along the way, submit them to one of our experts through the dashboard.
1. Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth: Catholic vs. Anglican
This lesson will explain the conflict between Mary, Queen of Scots and Elizabeth I of England that eventually led to Mary's execution. It will also highlight the conflict between Catholicism and Protestant England.
2. Queen Elizabeth I and England's Golden Age
This lesson will focus on the reign of Queen Elizabeth I of England, known as England's Golden Age. It will highlight England's advancements in economic growth, the sciences, the arts, and exploration under the lone rule of Elizabeth, the Virgin Queen.
3. Introduction to Shakespeare: Life and Works
This video provides a crash course introduction to William Shakespeare's life, plays, and poetry. From 'Two Gentlemen of Verona' to 'The Tempest', we'll give you a timeline of his works and quick descriptions of what you need to know to identify them.
4. The 30 Years War: Catholics vs. Protestants
This lesson will explore the reasons for the 30 Years' War. It will highlight the different phases of the war while also explaining why most of Europe took up battle against the Holy Roman Empire and the Hapsburg Dynasty.
5. The Netherlands During the Reformation
This lesson will focus on the Protestant Reformation and its effect on the Netherlands. It will highlight the role Protestantism, especially in the form of Calvinism, played in the Netherlands' fight for freedom from Catholic Spain.
6. The 80 Years War and the Spanish Armada
This lesson will explain the relationship between the 80 Years' War and the Spanish Armada. It will focus on the Netherlands' struggle for independence from Spain while also describing the role England played in the conflict.
7. Westphalia and Peace of Augsburg: States' Rise to Sovereignty and Decline of the Empire
This lesson focuses on the Holy Roman Empire during the Reformation. As it highlights the Peace of Augsburg and the Peace of Westphalia, it will illustrate the rise of state power, and the decline of the empire.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP World History: Exam Prep course
- AP World History: Foundational Concepts
- AP World History: Major Belief Systems
- AP World History: Ancient Times
- AP World History: Ancient Middle East
- AP World History: Ancient China, Africa, India & America
- AP World History: Ancient Greece
- AP World History: Hellenism and Athenian Philosophy
- AP World History: The Rise of the Roman Republic
- AP World History: The Fall of the Roman Empire
- AP World History: The Dark Ages
- AP World History: Early Middle Ages
- AP World History: The Medieval Warm Period
- AP World History: The High Middle Ages
- AP World History: Asia, Africa & America (1000-1300 CE)
- AP World History: The Late Middle Ages
- AP World History: The Renaissance
- AP World History: The Age of Exploration
- AP World History: The Reformation Across Europe
- AP World History: The Enlightenment
- AP World History: Political, Technological, and Intellectual Developments (1750-1914)
- AP World History: Colonialism
- AP World History: Imperialism
- AP World History: World War I
- AP World History: World War II
- AP World History: The Cold War and Other 20th Century World History
- AP World History: A Globalized World - 1980 & Beyond
- Portions of the AP World History Exam
- How to Write a Good Essay on Your AP Exam
- AP World History Flashcards
- Additional AP World History Flashcards