About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify which concepts are covered on your Enlightenment homework.
- Find videos on those topics within this chapter.
- Watch fun videos, pausing and reviewing as needed.
- Complete sample problems and get instant feedback.
- Finish your Enlightenment homework with ease!
Topics from your homework you'll be able to complete:
- The 30 Years' War
- Origins of the Enlightenment
- Enlightenment in America
- Themes of the Enlightenment
- John Locke
- Jean-Jacques Rousseau
- Scientific contributions of Sir Isaac Newton, Galileo and Copernicus
1. The 30 Years' War & the Birth of the Enlightenment
In this lesson, we will examine the consequences of the Thirty Years' War, as well as the birth of the Enlightenment. We will place these events in historical context and show their lasting impact.
2. The American Enlightenment: Intellectual and Social Revolution
For a thousand years, Europe had been living in the Dark Ages until a series of philosophical, religious and scientific movements helped turn on the lights. The Enlightenment began in Europe, but quickly spread throughout America in the 1700s and helped set the stage for a revolution against British rule.
3. Major Themes of the Enlightenment: Reason, Individualism & Skepticism
In this lesson, we will identify the major themes associated with the Enlightenment. We will also explore the major figures and learn about their contributions. We will understand the lasting impact of the Enlightenment by putting it in historical context.
4. The Enlightenment Thinkers & Their Ideas
In this lesson, we discuss the varied and diverse 18th-century intellectual movement known as the Enlightenment. In addition to exploring its background and nature, we highlight several of the era's chief philosophers and their ideas.
5. Jean-Jacques Rousseau: Philosophy and Legacy
In this lesson, we will learn about a famous philosopher named Jean-Jacques Rousseau. We will understand the specific views he advanced and identify his contributions to the field of philosophy.
6. Science During the Enlightenment Period: Innovations, Discoveries & Major Figures
In this lesson, we will learn about the Scientific Revolution that preceded the Enlightenment. We will highlight the major themes, innovations, discoveries, and figures associated with this revolution in science.
7. Jean-Jacques Rousseau: Ideas, Impact & Works
Jean-Jacques Rousseau was one of the most important philosophers of the Enlightenment period. Learn about his important works, his main ideas, and how he influenced other philosophers, movements, and governments in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP World History: Homework Help Resource course
- AP World History - Foundational Concepts: Homework Help
- AP World History - Major Belief Systems: Homework Help
- AP World History - Ancient Times: Homework Help
- AP World History - Ancient Middle East: Homework Help
- AP World History - Ancient China, Africa, India & America: Homework Help
- AP World History - Ancient Greece: Homework Help
- AP History Homework Help: Athenian Philosophy Hellenism
- AP World History - The Rise of the Roman Republic: Homework Help
- AP World History - The Fall of the Roman Empire: Homework Help
- AP World History - The Dark Ages: Homework Help
- AP World History - Early Middle Ages: Homework Help
- AP World History - The Medieval Warm Period: Homework Help
- AP World History - The High Middle Ages: Homework Help
- AP World History - Asia, Africa & America (1000-1300 CE): Homework Help
- AP World History - The Late Middle Ages: Homework Help
- AP World History - The Renaissance: Homework Help
- AP World History - The Age of Exploration: Homework Help
- AP World History - The Reformation Across Europe: Homework Help
- AP World History - The Elizabethan Era: Homework Help
- Homework Help: Intellectual, Political & Technological Developments (1750-1914)
- AP World History - Colonialism: Homework Help
- AP World History - Imperialism: Homework Help
- AP World History - World War I: Homework Help
- AP World History - World War II: Homework Help
- AP World History Homework Help: The Cold War
- AP World History - A Globalized World - 1980 & Beyond: Homework Help
- Portions of the AP World History Exam: Homework Help
- Essay Writing for the AP World History Exam: Homework Help
- Homework Help for Writing Your AP World History Exam Essay