About This Chapter
AP World History: The Enlightenment - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, we've put together engaging videos on the Enlightenment to help you prepare for the AP World History exam. You can work at your own pace as you watch videos about key Enlightenment figures and the beliefs they held. This chapter is designed to help you do the following:
- Detail the scientific innovations, major figures and discoveries during the Enlightenment
- Identify the roots of the Enlightenment
- Outline the influence of the Enlightenment on democratic thought
- Explain the treatment and roles of women during the Enlightenment
The mobile-friendly format of the video lessons in this chapter allows you to study and review as few or as little of these concepts as you'd like at your convenience. If you wish to study offline, our printable lesson transcripts can be easily turned into study guides. Be sure you're ready for exam day by taking the self-assessment lesson quizzes and chapter test.
1. The Roots of the Enlightenment
In this lesson, we will learn about the roots of the Enlightenment. We will learn when and how the Enlightenment began, and we will identify the central themes associated with its beginning.
2. The Enlightenment Thinkers & Their Ideas
In this lesson, we discuss the varied and diverse 18th-century intellectual movement known as the Enlightenment. In addition to exploring its background and nature, we highlight several of the era's chief philosophers and their ideas.
3. Influence of the Enlightenment on Democratic Thought
In this lesson, we will learn about the impact the Enlightenment has had upon democracy. We will see how the Enlightenment helped shape modern democratic thinking.
4. Science During the Enlightenment Period: Innovations, Discoveries & Major Figures
In this lesson, we will learn about the Scientific Revolution that preceded the Enlightenment. We will highlight the major themes, innovations, discoveries, and figures associated with this revolution in science.
5. Women During the Enlightenment: Roles & Treatment
In this lesson, we explore the traditional gender roles for women in 18th century Europe and how the Enlightenment affected attitudes that encouraged future change.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP World History: Exam Prep course
- AP World History: Foundational Concepts
- AP World History: Major Belief Systems
- AP World History: Ancient Times
- AP World History: Ancient Middle East
- AP World History: Ancient China, Africa, India & America
- AP World History: Ancient Greece
- AP World History: Hellenism and Athenian Philosophy
- AP World History: The Rise of the Roman Republic
- AP World History: The Fall of the Roman Empire
- AP World History: The Dark Ages
- AP World History: Early Middle Ages
- AP World History: The Medieval Warm Period
- AP World History: The High Middle Ages
- AP World History: Asia, Africa & America (1000-1300 CE)
- AP World History: The Late Middle Ages
- AP World History: The Renaissance
- AP World History: The Age of Exploration
- AP World History: The Reformation Across Europe
- AP World History: The Elizabethan Era
- AP World History: Political, Technological, and Intellectual Developments (1750-1914)
- AP World History: Colonialism
- AP World History: Imperialism
- AP World History: World War I
- AP World History: World War II
- AP World History: The Cold War and Other 20th Century World History
- AP World History: A Globalized World - 1980 & Beyond
- Portions of the AP World History Exam
- How to Write a Good Essay on Your AP Exam
- AP World History Flashcards
- Additional AP World History Flashcards