About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Find the lesson within this chapter that corresponds to what you're studying in the Education Loans & Scholarships appendix of your textbook.
- Watch fun videos that cover the education loans and scholarships topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quiz after watching each video lesson to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material, or submit a question for one of our instructors.
You'll learn all of the education loans and scholarships covered in the textbook appendix, including:
- Calculating student loans
- Repayment options
- Student loan forgiveness programs
- Avoiding default
- Work-study programs
Focus on Personal Finance is a registered trademark of McGraw-Hill and is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Finding the Real Cost of College: Tips for Students
Many students think tuition is the only cost they need to worry about when calculating their college budget, but the cost of college goes beyond tuition. This lesson will help you learn to estimate your financial needs when planning your education.
2. Do I Qualify for Scholarships or Financial Aid?
Financial aid vocabulary and procedures can be difficult to understand. This lesson will help by reviewing the different types of financial aid, how you can determine eligibility and how to maximize your financial aid possibilities.
3. FAFSA Tips: How to Apply for Financial Aid
Given the consistent rise in college tuition, finding ways to pay for college is on the forefront of every student's mind. Applying for college funding through the ''Federal Student Aid'' office is one of the easiest ways to begin. Listen to this lesson to find out how to get started with your Free Application for Federal Student Aid and be on your way to paying for college.
4. Applying for Scholarships at Your College
Scholarships award the recipient with financial aid that does not have to be repaid. This lesson covers ways to find individual school-sponsored scholarships and tips for increasing your odds of winning scholarships.
5. Applying for Private Scholarships
Private scholarships award the recipient with financial aid that does not have to be repaid. This lesson covers some of the ways to find private scholarships as well as tips for increasing your odds of winning private scholarships.
6. Types of Student Loans: Stafford, Perkins, PLUS
The cost of higher education is on the rise, and student loans can be an excellent resource to help pay for college. This lesson will discuss three types of student loans and end with a short quiz.
7. Calculating Monthly Student Loan Payments
In this lesson, we will discuss how student loans work and how they are calculated. We will also talk about the plans you should make to save money by paying your loan back sooner than what the payment schedule says.
8. Student Loan Repayment Options
Most students have to rely on loans in order to help pay for college. This lesson explores the many options available to students for repaying those loans.
9. Student Loan Forgiveness Programs: Definition & Options
Student loan forgiveness programs help make higher education affordable by erasing some or all loan debt. This lesson will discuss the ins and outs of student loan forgiveness programs and will end with a short quiz to test what you have learned.
10. Understanding Your Work-Study Options
Work-study programs can help you finance your education and gain work experience for your resume. This lesson discusses work-study options, eligibility requirements, application procedures, and restrictions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Focus on Personal Finance: Online Textbook Help course
- Ch. 1: Personal Finance Planning
- Ch. 2: Money Management Skills
- Ch. 3: Taxes in a Financial Plan
- Ch. 4: Financial Services
- Ch. 5: Consumer Credit
- Ch. 6: Buying Motor Vehicles
- Ch. 7: Financing Housing
- Ch. 8: Insurance
- Ch. 9: Health & Disability Insurance
- Ch. 10: Planning with Life Insurance
- Ch. 11: Investing Basics
- Ch. 12: Investing in Stocks
- Ch. 13: Investing in Mutual Funds
- Ch. 14: Retirement & Estate Planning
- App. B: Career Search Strategy
- App. C: Consumer Agencies & Organizations
- App. D: Daily Spending Diary