About This Chapter
Application & Systems Software - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll review a series of engaging video lessons that cover types of application and systems software. Use any computer or mobile device to access this chapter and study the functions of firmware, MS Word, InDesign, PowerPoint, Illustrator and more. Following each lesson is a short quiz that can help you memorize key terms and concepts. Printable lesson transcripts are also included, and if you have any questions about the material, you can submit them to our instructors. When you're done, you should be equipped to:
- Discuss the applications of computer software
- Compare types of systems software, including firmware, device drivers and utility software
- Explain how application software can be used to achieve enterprise, workgroup and personal objectives
- Evaluate types of desktop publishing, word processing and presentation software
- Work with audio and video using multimedia software
1. What is Computer Software? - Definition & Applications
In this lesson, we'll briefly go over the basics of what software is and how it's different from hardware. We'll also talk about a couple of examples and see some common uses of software.
2. Systems Software: Utility Software, Device Drivers and Firmware
System software coordinates the activities and functions of hardware and software, and it controls the operations of computer hardware. Learn about different types of system software, including utility software, device drivers and firmware.
3. Application Software for Personal, Enterprise & Workgroup Objectives
Application software is a computer program to carry out a specific task. Learn about the different types of applications at the individual, workgroup and enterprise level.
4. Desktop Publishing & Word Processing Software: MS Word, InDesign & WordPerfect
Word processing software is used to manipulate text and apply a basic design to your pages. More sophisticated design can be accomplished using desktop publishing software. Learn about the functionality of these two types of application software.
5. Presentation Software & Graphic Suites: Purpose & Examples
To make an impact on your audience, you not only need a strong message, you also need strong visuals. Learn how presentation and illustration software helps you make an impact when showing your work.
6. Multimedia Software: Working with Audio and Video
Audio and video have become increasingly important in today's computer systems. Learn about how media players play back multimedia files as well as audio and video editing software to create your own productions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Computer Science 103: Computer Concepts & Applications course
- Basic Computer Concepts
- Computer Hardware Components & Functions
- Operating Systems for Computers
- Telecommunications Systems
- Understanding Computer Files
- Troubleshooting Computer Issues
- Web Browsers & Technology
- Using Microsoft Word
- Using Microsoft Excel
- Using Microsoft PowerPoint
- Database Fundamentals
- Computer Programming Fundamentals
- Systems Development & Analysis
- Computer Threats & Security
- Technology's Ethical, Legal & Privacy Issues