About This Chapter
Applications of Derivatives in Calculus - Chapter Summary
If you're looking for a way to study the applications of derivatives in calculus, you're in the right place. This comprehensive chapter includes short video lessons on a variety of derivative topics, such as the mean value theorem, linearization and the rules of differentiation. By the end of the chapter, you'll be able to:
- Explain the mean value theorem and Rolle's theorem
- Use linearization to estimate function values
- Find the roots of equations by applying Newton's method
- Differentiate complex functions with the chain rule
- Calculate derivatives using the rules of differentiation
Take the chapter's self-assessment quizzes to practice solving differentiation problems on your own. If you need any extra help with these concepts, feel free to reach out to our instructors with your questions. The chapter is accessible 24/7, and you can study whenever you have free time in your schedule.
1. What is the Mean Value Theorem?
Three people set off on a car trip. They all start at the same time and end at the same time. Learn what calculus says about how fast they traveled along the way as you study the Mean Value Theorem in this lesson.
2. Rolle's Theorem: A Special Case of the Mean Value Theorem
Super C, the human cannonball, is shot into the air at 35 mph, but his average vertical velocity is zero. In this lesson, you will use Rolle's theorem to explain what this means about Super C's flight.
3. How to Estimate Function Values Using Linearization
Sometimes landing on Mars isn't that easy. You might need to use linearization to estimate if you will crash into the planet, or miss it entirely. Learn how to do just that in this lesson.
4. How to Use Newton's Method to Find Roots of Equations
Finding the roots of equations usually requires the use of a calculator. However, in this lesson you'll use Newton's Method to find the root of any equation, even when you can't solve for it explicitly.
5. Using the Chain Rule to Differentiate Complex Functions
If you've ever seen a complicated function, this lesson is for you. Most functions that we want to differentiate are complicated functions, for which no single derivative rule will work. In this lesson, learn how to use the chain rule to simplify nesting equations.
6. Applying the Rules of Differentiation to Calculate Derivatives
In this lesson, we'll review common derivatives and their rules, including the product, quotient and chain rules. We'll also examine how to solve derivative problems through several examples.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MHT-CET: Practice & Study Guide course
- Circular Motion & Gravitation
- Understanding Oscillations
- Understanding Rotational Motion
- Equilibrium & Elasticity
- Electric Force & Charge
- Current Electricity
- Using Electricity in Engineering
- Electromagnetic Induction & Magnetism
- Wave Motion
- Understanding Sound Waves
- Light Waves
- Kinetic Theory of Gasses & Radiation
- Atoms, Molecules & Nuclei in Physics
- Surface Tension & Energy
- Matter, Atomic Structure & Chemical Bonding
- D-Block Elements, Halogens, Noble Gases & Alcohols
- Basic Measurement in Chemistry
- Understanding Chemical Solutions
- Chemical Reactions & Kinetics
- Concepts of Organic Chemistry
- Crystallization & Hydrogenation
- Applications of Chemistry in Everyday Life
- Variance, Probability & Distributions
- Geometry & 3D Shapes
- Overview of Basic Trigonometry
- Function Operations, Limits & Properties
- Exponents & Logarithms
- Linear Systems
- Vectors in Math
- Introduction to Matrices
- Calculation of Derivatives
- Integrals & Definite Integrals
- Differential Equations & Applications
- Logic & Algebra
- Plant Reproduction & Growth
- Plant Respiration & Photosynthesis
- DNA, Mendelian Genetics & Inheritance
- Introduction to Genetic Engineering
- Characteristics of Birds & Mammals
- Human Anatomy: Neurology and Endocrinology
- Human Anatomy: Cardiology, Nephrology and Immunology
- Reproduction & Contraception
- Human Disease & Diagnostic Technology
- Origins of Life
- Concepts in Pharmacology
- Concepts in Ecology
- MHT-CET Flashcards