About This Chapter
Applications of Fields in Physics- Chapter Summary
What is the influence of gravity on orbital motion? Which forces cause attraction? These questions represent the type of information you will explore when you use the video and text lessons in this chapter. You will have the opportunity to review definitions and formulas to clarify facts and ensure your understanding of this material. Once you are finished with this chapter, you should be able to:
- Define aphelion and perihelion
- Explain how speed, gravity, and potential and kinetic energy influence orbital motion
- Use equations to solve problems of centripetal force and acceleration
- Calculate forces of attraction
- Describe the properties of different types of forces of attraction
- Analyze the force of a magnetic field on a current
- Discuss how electric motors work
- Detail the interaction between different fields of energy
Easily accessible lessons allow you to study at your pace whenever it's convenient for you. Expert instructors present the material in easy-to-follow language supported by examples and illustrations. Track your progress through this chapter on your Dashboard and use self-assessment quizzes to measure the depth of your knowledge and to determine if you need further review of any topic.
1. How Orbits Are Influenced by Gravity & Energy
This lesson will explain how potential energy, kinetic energy, speed, and gravity are linked to the orbital motion of planets in our solar system. It will also define aphelion and perihelion.
2. Uniform Circular Motion: Definition & Mathematics
After watching this lesson, you will be able to explain what uniform circular motion is, in terms of both acceleration and forces. You will also be able to use equations for centripetal force and acceleration to solve problems. A short quiz will follow.
3. Force of Attraction: Formula & Concept
In this lesson, you will learn about the force of attraction and the kinds of forces that cause attraction. You will learn the formulas for these forces and learn how to calculate the force of attraction in each case, and learn about the properties of each force of attraction.
4. Force of a Magnetic Field on a Current: Formula & Application
Electricity and magnetism are so closely related that they are used in the same word, electromagnetism. In this lesson, we will explore how a magnetic field exerts a force on current.
5. Electric Motor: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn what an electric motor is and how it works. Take the opportunity to look at some examples of the way in which electric motors are used in everyday life. A short quiz will follow.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the VCE Physics: Exam Prep & Study Guide course
- Overview of Thermodynamics
- Thermodynamics & Climatology
- Energy Conservation & Efficiency
- Modeling Electricity
- Circuit Electricity
- Electronic Device Use & Safety
- Electricity Generation & Transmission
- Origins of the Universe
- Subatomic Particles in the Nucleus
- Atomic Energy
- Modeling Motion
- Force & Motion in Physics
- Energy & Motion in Physics
- Laws of Motion Applied Problem Solving
- The Theory of Relativity
- Interactions of Fields in Physics
- Effects of Fields in Physics
- Properties of Mechanical Waves
- Light as an Electromagnetic Wave
- Wave-Particle Duality & Quantum Mechanics
- Conducting a Scientific Investigation
- Scientific Investigation for the VCE Physics Exam
- VCE Physics Flashcards