About This Chapter
Applications of Mathematics - Chapter Summary
The expert instructors featured in this chapter have designed these lessons to highlight the most relevant applications of mathematics in a detailed but not overwhelming outline. A key benefit of the online learning format of this program is the ability to work at your own pace when and where it is most convenient to you. You can also view the lessons in any order.
As you study the disciplines of mathematics and their classroom application in this chapter, you'll discuss:
- How to integrate math into other subjects
- Using math manipulatives as tools to solve word problems
- Incorporating age-appropriate financial literacy concepts into math instruction
- Utilizing mathematical models to solve financial problems
- Examples and techniques for effective communication of mathematical ideas
As you finish each lesson, take the opportunity to self-assess your retention and comprehension of the concepts using the short multiple-choice lesson quizzes. At the conclusion of the chapter, you are presented with another option to test for understanding with the comprehensive chapter exam. Other study resources provided in this chapter include printable quiz worksheets and full transcripts for video lessons. Instructors are also available to answer any questions.
1. What are the Disciplines of Mathematics?
Mathematics is divided into various disciplines as it is a very large area of study. Learn about the different disciplines of mathematics, such as arithmetic, algebra, geometry, trigonometry, calculus, statistics, and probability.
2. Integrating Math & Other Subjects
Math can be integrated into just about everything we learn and do as a society. From academia to the industrial and professional world, math is used to model and solve problems. Further, math is simply essential in much of day-to-day life.
3. How to Use Math Manipulatives to Answer Word Problems
Math manipulatives aid in solving math problems such as dice or portions of food. See different examples of how math manipulative can be used to answer various word problems.
4. Calculating Financial Problems with Mathematical Models
Financial transactions often include interest earned on investments, as well as interest paid on debts. Learn how to calculate financial problems using mathematical models. Explore the formulas for simple interest, compound interest, and continuously compounded interest.
5. Financial Literacy for Middle School Students
This lesson focuses on financial literacy for middle school students. Aspects of financial literacy are laid out in three areas: basic budgeting, how finances work, and advanced aspects of finances.
6. Applying Financial Literacy in Math Instruction
In this lesson, we will define financial literacy and show you how we incorporate math in our instruction. You'll also learn how to calculate sales tax, interest on savings and interest on debt.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the TExES Mathematics/Science 4-8 (114): Practice & Study Guide course
- Number Concepts
- Number Operations & Problem Solving
- Number Theory & Applications
- Linear Functions & Inequalities
- Linear Models
- Nonlinear Functions
- Quadratic Equations
- Basic Calculus Concepts
- Measurement & the Metric System Overview
- Geometric Relationships
- Basic Geometric Figures
- 3D Figures & 2D Representations
- Transformational Geometry
- Tables and Plots for Data
- Data Summarization in Math
- Evaluating Probabilities
- Sampling & Statistical Interference
- Basic Mathematical Reasoning
- Proofs & Reasoning in Math
- Mathematical Instruction
- Student-Centered Math Instructional Strategies
- Mathematical Assessments
- Safety Procedures and Hazards in Scientific Research
- Analyzing and Interpreting Scientific Data
- Nature & Impact of Science
- Population Growth & Trends
- Natural Resources & Their Consumption
- Unifying Concepts & Processes in Science
- Systems in Science
- Scientific Models
- Basics of Force and Motion
- Structure of Matter
- Periodic Table
- Chemical Bonds
- Chemical Formulas, Reactions & Equations
- Chemistry Applications
- Work, Power & Energy
- Heat & Electric Energy
- Light, Sound & Waves
- Energy Transformations
- Classification of Organisms
- Structure & Function of Living Things
- Compounds & Molecules
- Reproduction & Heredity
- Evolution & Adaptations
- Regulatory Mechanisms & Behavior
- Organisms & the Environment
- Earth's Features
- Energy Sources & Heat Transfer in Earth Science
- Cycles in Earth Systems
- Humans & the Environment
- Climate & Weather
- Components of the Solar System & Universe
- Earth in the Solar System
- History & Formation of the Earth
- Science Instruction & Assessment
- TExES Mathematics/Science 4-8 Flashcards