About This Chapter
Applications of Science & Engineering - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you can discover the applications of scientific research and learn how this type of research is conducted. You'll also review the different types of research design.
As you progress through this chapter, the focus shifts to engineering design. The process of this design is discussed as well as the applications of technology in engineering. Completing this chapter gives you the ability to:
- Define scientific research
- Determine how scientific research is conducted safely
- State the steps of scientific investigation
- Describe the process of engineering design
- Analyze the systems thinking in management
The lessons in this chapter are brief, and they make learning about science and engineering topics fun. Take a quiz after completing the lesson to see what information you remember. Transcripts of the video lessons contain highlighted key terms and concepts from this chapter.
1. Scientific Ways of Thinking
Are you interested in becoming a scientist? Science is all about gaining knowledge by asking good questions, making observations, testing your ideas and drawing conclusions. With a little practice, you can learn to think like a scientist.
2. What is Scientific Research?
This lesson will discuss important components of scientific research, including the scientific method, peer review, statistical significance, and more!
3. Conducting Scientific Research: Safety Concerns & Regulations
When scientists conduct research, safety is a top concern. Learn about the kinds of hazards a scientist faces depending on the kind of work that they do, as well as some risks with scientific research. Plus, see how safety regulations protect all of us.
4. Types of Research Design
There are questions to be answered in all areas of psychology. How are these questions answered by professionals in the field? This lesson covers several different options researchers can use to approach such questions.
5. What is Scientific Investigation? - Definition, Steps & Examples
Scientific investigation is the way in which scientists and researchers use a systematic approach to answer questions about the world around us. Read on to find out more. A quiz is provided to test your understanding.
6. Scientific Inquiry vs. Technological & Engineering Design
In this lesson, we will describe the similarities and differences between the scientific inquiry process and the technological and engineering design process.
7. Engineering Design: Definition & Process
In this lesson, we will define engineering design and explain the engineering design process from defining the problem to testing and redesigning the final product.
8. Technology: How Organizations Turn Inputs to Outputs
In this lesson, you will learn about the three different types of technologies used by organizations and how the type of technology used by an organization impacts the structure of that organization.
9. Unifying Themes, Principles & Relationships in Science
Learn the true definition of science and explore the main themes and principles to understand how science helps us find relationships in the natural world. Take a quiz to test what you know.
10. Systems Thinking in Management: Definition, Theory & Model
System thinking is an essential component of a learning organization. In this lesson, we will be exploring the definition of system thinking, its underlying theory, and model.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MEGA Biology: Practice & Study Guide course
- STEM & Society
- Reading & Interpreting Scientific Information
- Properties of Living Systems
- Cell Structure and Functions
- Genetics & Molecular Biology
- Patterns & Processes of Inheritance
- Mechanisms of Biological Evolution
- Evidence for the Origin of Life
- Structures & Functions of Organisms
- Organisms & Homeostasis
- Ecosystems, Populations & Communities
- Ecosystems, Biomes & Environmental Change
- Human Impact on the Biosphere
- MEGA Biology Flashcards