About This Chapter
Applying Soft Skills in the Workplace - Chapter Summary
Using soft skills in the workplace can improve communication, teamwork, critical thinking skills and more. Your employees can watch engaging video lessons in this chapter to learn how to apply soft skills on the job. After reviewing the videos, they will understand the following:
- The definition and creation of open communication in the workplace
- How to develop teamwork skills on the job
- What critical thinking means and how to use it
- Creative vs. analytical thinking
- Personal accountability, adaptability, flexibility and initiative
The entertaining video lessons can make learning to apply soft skills in the workplace fun. Following each lesson is a short self-assessment quiz that can gauge your employees' comprehension of lesson concepts. They can also take a chapter exam to assess their understanding of the entire chapter.
How It Helps
- Improves communication skills: The lessons encourage employees to open communication channels, which can enhance the work environment.
- Strengthens teamwork: Employees learn how to become adaptable, personally accountable and build teamwork skills to encourage collaboration and avoid issues that can arise from competition.
- Encourages critical and creative thinking: Lessons examine the benefits of encouraging both critical and creative thinking in the workplace to solve problems and improve operations.
When your employees reach the end of this chapter, they will be able to:
- Define open communication and explain how it can be created in the workplace
- Describe how to develop teamwork skills
- Explain the meaning of critical thinking and how to use it
- Provide ways to nurture creative thinking in the workplace
- Discuss the importance of personal accountability, adaptability, flexibility and initiative
1. Open Communication in the Workplace: Definition, Skills & Benefits
In this lesson, we will discuss the definition of open communication, how to create open communication in the workplace, and the benefits of effective communication in the workplace.
2. Teamwork Skills in the Workplace: Definition & Examples
In today's modern corporate world, developing teamwork skills in the workplace has become a necessity. In order to survive such a competitive environment, companies need to promote a workplace that emphasizes teamwork.
3. What is Critical Thinking? - Definition, Skills & Meaning
Critical thinking is a term that we hear a lot, but many people don't really stop to think about what it means or how to use it. This lesson will tell you exactly what it means and make you realize that the average person largely ignores critical thinking.
4. Analytical Intelligence, Divergent Thinking & Creativity
Some people tend to think more analytically, while some are creative thinkers by nature. Is creativity an important skill for solving problems? In this lesson, we'll learn the differences between creative and analytical thinking and discover ways to nurture creative thinking.
5. Personal Accountability, Adaptability & Initiative at Work
In business, it is crucial for owners to hire the right people. In this lesson, you will learn about three characteristics of valuable employees: personal accountability, adaptability, and initiative.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Developing Soft Skills in the Workplace course