About This Chapter
Applying Strategic Thinking in Organizations - Chapter Summary
In this corporate training chapter we provide an in-depth exploration of strategic thinking applications in specific management processes. Our excellent instructors have loads of experience teaching business principles, and in these videos they discuss topics including:
- Thinking strategically as a team
- Building learning organizations
- Strategic mapping and management
- Systems thinking
- Appreciative inquiry
These videos help to break these complex concepts down into brief, manageable chunks. Be sure to discuss strategic thinking and management with your team; the questions in the lesson quizzes make for a great starting point. You can also have your employees complete the chapter test to see how well they absorbed the key concepts.
How It Helps
- Informs decision making: Your employees and managers will have specific tools to work through long-term planning.
- Encourages learning: As a learning organization, your business will grow and flourish in new ways, and here your employees will learn how to make it so.
- Expands innovation: Applying the principles taught here will help employees explore new solutions to meet customer needs and increase productivity.
Upon completion of this chapter, your employees will understand how to:
- Develop teams which think strategically
- Turn your company into a learning organization
- Apply strategic management principles to decision making
- Use strategic mapping to visualize long-term planning
- Describe and apply systems thinking within managerial functions
- Analyze challenges in the business and develop means to meet them
1. Fostering Strategic Thinking on Your Team
In this lesson, we'll address and analyze different methods that can be used to help foster strategic thinking while working together as part of a team.
2. How Companies Become Learning Organizations
In today's knowledge economy, it is imperative that organizations and their members find ways to acquire, share, and apply new knowledge; a notion that is highly characteristic of a learning organization. In this lesson, you will learn what it means to be a learning organization and the benefits of becoming one.
3. The Strategic Management Process
We will be reviewing the strategic management process, starting with the four main steps of the process. These steps provide the foundation for understanding strategic management as a whole and will serve you well as you deal with management decision-making situations.
4. The Benefits of Strategic Mapping
This lesson will define strategic mapping and why organizations and businesses use it. You'll learn about the benefits of strategic mapping, and you can test your knowledge with a quiz.
5. Systems Thinking in Management: Definition, Theory & Model
System thinking is an essential component of a learning organization. In this lesson, we will be exploring the definition of system thinking, its underlying theory, and model.
6. What Is Appreciative Inquiry? - Definition & Process
In this lesson, we'll be learning about appreciative inquiry, an important part of the decision-making process in the business world,. We'll also learn about it as a method used to introduce and facilitate company change.
7. Practical Application: Utilizing the Balanced Scorecard Approach
Companies use a balanced scorecard to assess their growth in several key ways. This practical application walks you through the four major areas on a balanced scorecard and an example scorecard you can use now to assess your organization.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Applying Strategic Thinking Skills course