About This Chapter
Approaches to Math Word Problems - Chapter Summary
This chapter's video lessons will help you understand and develop strategies to solve word problems. You'll learn the best methods for tackling simple and more complex problems and how to look at word problems from a different perspective. Our instructors have included lots of examples to help you understand these ideas. After watching these lessons, you should:
- Recognize the fundamentals of solving word problems
- Understand how to solve word problems that require multiple steps
- Be able to restate problems with images or words
- Be adept at personalizing word problems for better understanding
Our instructors are professionals in the field and make these lessons enjoyable and informative. They've developed multiple-choice quizzes to accompany each lesson, allowing you to test your knowledge. A jump feature in the timeline for the lessons allows you to quickly return to areas that you need to review. Each lesson also includes a written transcript with key words and phrases highlighted. These brief videos can be viewed in about five to ten minutes each.
1. Solving Word Problems: Steps & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can solve word problems by following this 3-step process. Learn how to visualize your problem so you fully understand it. Then learn how to write and solve your equations.
2. Solving Word Problems with Multiple Steps
Not all word problems are so straightforward that they only require you to do one operation and you're done. Some are more complicated, requiring several steps. Watch this video lesson to learn how to solve these kinds of problems.
3. Restating Word Problems Using Words or Images
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use sketches and notes to help you visualize a problem. Watch how easy it becomes to solve your problem once you have visualized it.
4. Personalizing a Word Problem to Increase Understanding
When it comes to word problems, being able to personalize a word problem with more familiar situations will help you a lot in your problem solving. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can restate the word problem in terms you understand.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Accuplacer College Level Math Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- Operations with Basic Algebraic Expressions
- Arithmetic with Rational Expressions
- Factoring in Algebra
- Expanding Polynomials
- Manipulating Roots
- Working with Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- Solving & Graphing Linear Equations
- Quadratic Equations
- Calculating & Graphing Inequalities
- Solving Systems of Linear Equations
- Geometric Angles & Shapes
- Conics in Algebra
- Algebraic Concepts of Groups & Sets
- Graphs of Algebraic Functions
- Complex and Imaginary Numbers
- Notation, Sequences & Series
- Matrices and Determinants in Algebra
- Fractions, Decimals & Mixed Numbers
- Understanding Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- Trigonometric Functions & Equations
- Accuplacer College Level Math Flashcards