About This Chapter
AQA A-Level Chemistry: Alcohols - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, delve into the structure of alcohol, learn about various reactions and examine how alcohol is made. With these lessons, you'll explore the following topics that may appear on the AQA A-Level Chemistry exam:
- Alcohol structure, interactions and products
- Classification and reactions of alcohols
- Yeast fermentation
- Hydroxyl group structure
- Ethylene oxide
- Biomass for renewable energy
- Biofuel and carbon neutral activities
- Elimination reactions and alkenes
The lessons in this chapter have been developed by professionals in the field to ensure that you review the information about alcohols you are likely to come across on the AQA A-Level Chemistry exam. Our instructors have created short video and text lessons to keep you engaged in the learning process. You can take self-assessment quizzes as you work your way through the chapter to test your knowledge of the material.
1. Alcohols in Esterification: Structure & Products
This lesson is an introduction to alcohols, their role in ester synthesis, and the products they form after esterification. The structure of alcohols is also discussed, as well as how to name them.
2. Yeast Fermentation: Using Fermentation to Make Alcohol
Without microbiology, you wouldn't be able to enjoy a refreshing adult beverage after work. In this lesson, we will examine the role of yeast in alcohol production.
3. Hydroxyl Group: Definition & Structure
A hydroxyl group is a pair of atoms that is commonly found in organic compounds, such as sugars and alcohols. Learn more about the importance of this group and quiz yourself at the end.
4. What Is Ethylene Oxide? - Uses, Safety & Technology
This lesson will discuss how a type of gas, called ethylene oxide, can sterilize equipment. We'll talk about the way by which it does this, what its advantages are, as well as the dangers it poses to human health if used improperly.
5. Biomass for Renewable Energy: Pros and Cons
Biomass is organic material that can be used to generate heat, electricity, and even fuel. In this lesson, you will learn about the advantages of this abundant and renewable energy source as well as the disadvantages.
6. Carbon-Neutral Activity & Biofuel
New biofuels are often described as carbon neutral by their supporters. But what does it mean to be carbon neutral? And do biofuels really fit that bill?
7. Alcohol Classification & Reactions
In organic chemistry, alcohol means a lot more than an alcoholic drink, as it commonly known. In this lesson, we'll chemically define an alcohol, look at the different oxidizing reactions that it can undergo, and the resulting products that are formed.
8. Alcohols, Elimination Reactions & Alkenes
Alkenes are important in forming several compounds such as plastic. In this lesson we will learn how alkenes can be formed through alcohol elimination reactions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AQA A-Level Chemistry: Practice and Study Guide course
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Atomic Structure
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Amount of Substance
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Bonding
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Periodicity
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Basics of Organic Chemistry
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Energetics
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Kinetics
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Equilibria
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Redox Reactions
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Extraction of Metals
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Haloalkanes
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Alkenes
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Acids and Bases
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Carbonyl Group Compounds
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Aromatic Chemistry, Amines, Amino Acids & Polymers
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Structure Determination
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Thermodynamics
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Transition Metals
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Reactions of Inorganic Compounds in Aqueous Solution
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Scientific Investigation
- AQA A-Level Chemistry Flashcards