About This Chapter
AQA A-Level Chemistry: Aromatic Chemistry, Amines, Amino Acids & Polymers - Chapter Summary
Prepare to ace some of the questions on the AQA A-Level Chemistry exam. The lessons in this chapter were put together to help you analyze certain components of chemistry such as amino acids and polymers. You will be able to review the following topics in the lessons:
- Aromatic compound
- Electrophilic substitution
- Friedel-Crafts acylation reactions
- Amino acids
- The formation of protein from amino acids
- Functional groups
The lessons contain a lot of useful information about specific chemistry concepts in order to prepare you for the AQA A-Level Chemistry exam. In an effort to make your studying process interactive and effective, you will be taught these lessons by professional and knowledgeable instructors. Since this material can be a bit complicated, our instructors are here to answer any questions you may have in this chapter.
1. What is Benzene? - Uses, Structure & Formula
Benzene is one of the most widely used chemicals involved in manufacturing products we use on a daily basis, such as detergents, plastic and rubber. In this lesson, we will learn more about the structure, formula and various uses of benzene.
2. What is an Aromatic Compound? - Definition & Example
The term 'aromatic' is used by chemists for substances with distinct odors. In this lesson, we will learn all about aromatic compounds, the features of such compounds' chemical structures, and Huckel's Rule.
3. Electrophilic Substitution & Aromatic Hydrocarbons
In this lesson we will learn what happens when arenes and electrophiles react, and how electrophilic substitutions occur. We will also look at an example of electrophilic substitution.
4. Nitration: Reaction & Products
In this lesson we will learn about an important reaction in organic chemistry known as nitration. In addition to exploring the reaction mechanism, we will get some practical application of these building blocks and explore what they can be used for.
5. Friedel-Crafts Acylation Reactions in Synthesis
Aromatic compounds are important biological compounds, but it is difficult to see reactions occur on them. Friedel-Crafts Acylation are one type of reaction that can occur on aromatic compounds.
6. Amine: Definition, Structure, Reactions & Formula
What does the fried fish you eat and dog poop have in common? The answer is amines. In this lesson, we will learn about the chemical structure of amines and how they react.
7. What Are Amino Acids? - Definition & Structure
Your body cannot function without proteins, and in order to build all these important proteins, your body needs amino acids. In this lesson, learn what amino acids are and what they look like. Then test your new knowledge with a short quiz.
8. How Amino Acids Form Protein
Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins. Learn about the basic structure of an amino acid and how the molecules bond together through peptide bonds using a process called a dehydration synthesis reaction.
9. What Are Polymers? - Properties, Applications & Examples
Polymers are huge molecules that are encountered in nature as well as in our modern technology. This lesson introduces students to polymers, their properties, and some of the many ways polymers are found in the modern world.
10. Functional Groups in Organic Synthesis & Analysis
This lesson is an introduction to functional groups in organic synthesis. Examples of functional groups in everyday life are given. A method for identifying functional groups is also discussed and applied to organic synthesis.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AQA A-Level Chemistry: Practice and Study Guide course
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Atomic Structure
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Amount of Substance
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Bonding
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Periodicity
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Basics of Organic Chemistry
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Energetics
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Kinetics
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Equilibria
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Redox Reactions
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Extraction of Metals
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Haloalkanes
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Alkenes
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Alcohols
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Acids and Bases
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Carbonyl Group Compounds
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Structure Determination
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Thermodynamics
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Transition Metals
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Reactions of Inorganic Compounds in Aqueous Solution
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Scientific Investigation
- AQA A-Level Chemistry Flashcards