About This Chapter
AQA A-Level Chemistry: Atomic Structure - Chapter Summary
Atoms are the building blocks of all matter. With the lessons in this chapter, you will get to take a peek into the atom, so you can explore exactly how they are structured. Once you've garnered sufficient knowledge, you can accurately answer AQA A-Level Chemistry exam questions. Specifically, you'll examine the following through this chapter's lessons:
- The atom
- Mass number and average atomic mass
- Atomic number
- Electron shell
- Configurations of electrons
We strive to make learning an inviting and pleasurable experience. Our instructors have created videos to help keep you engaged in the learning process. The videos' transcripts are included as a great resource from which to jot down information. You can take self-assessment quizzes as you work your way through the chapter. A chapter exam can be taken after you complete the lessons to apply all that you have learned.
1. The Atom
Tune into this lesson to find out what matters about matter. What exactly is an atom? And, how do the atoms that make up the elements in the periodic table differ from one another?
2. Atomic Number and Mass Number
Atoms are the basic building blocks of everything around you. In order to really understand how atoms combine to form molecules, it's necessary to be familiar with their structure. In this lesson, we'll dissect atoms so we can see just what really goes into those little building blocks of matter.
3. Isotopes and Average Atomic Mass
When you drink a glass of water, you are actually drinking a combination of heavy water and light water. What's the difference? Is it harmful? This video will explain the difference between the two types of water and go into detail on the significance of the different isotopes of elements.
4. The Electron Shell
You may be familiar with the role of electrons in electrical devices, but did you know that electrons also determine the chemical reactivity of everything around you?
5. Electron Configurations in Atomic Energy Levels
This lesson will explain what the electrons are doing inside the atom. Tune in to find out how we specify where they are located and how this location description will help us predict an element's properties.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AQA A-Level Chemistry: Practice and Study Guide course
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Amount of Substance
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Bonding
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Periodicity
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Basics of Organic Chemistry
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Energetics
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Kinetics
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Equilibria
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Redox Reactions
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Extraction of Metals
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Haloalkanes
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Alkenes
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Alcohols
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Acids and Bases
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Carbonyl Group Compounds
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Aromatic Chemistry, Amines, Amino Acids & Polymers
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Structure Determination
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Thermodynamics
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Transition Metals
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Reactions of Inorganic Compounds in Aqueous Solution
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Scientific Investigation
- AQA A-Level Chemistry Flashcards