About This Chapter
AQA A-Level Chemistry: Carbonyl Group Compounds - Chapter Summary
You can discover new information or review what you have learned about carbonyl group compounds by taking a look at the lessons in this chapter. When you are done, you should know more about the following topics:
- Aldehydes and ketones
- Carboxylic acid
The lessons in this chapter are meant to give you an idea of what you will encounter on the AQA A-Level Chemistry exam. The short video lessons about five to ten minutes long. Accompanied with these video lessons are lesson transcripts that highlight key terms and phrases. When you are ready, take the lesson quizzes and chapter exam to assess what you've studied so far.
1. Aldehydes & Ketones: Reaction Mechanisms
In this lesson we will look at reactions that aldehydes and ketones under-go. These reaction include oxidation into carboxylic acids, reduction into alcohols, and forming cyanohydrin.
2. Carboxylic Acid: Structural Formula, Properties & Uses
We may not know it, but we encounter compounds called carboxylic acids regularly. These substances are in our kitchens and medicine cabinets and are used in various industrial applications. In this lesson, we will learn all about carboxylic acids.
3. Esters: Formation & Uses
This lesson describes the uses and structure of esters. The mechanism of ester formation is described, as well as biological applications, such as saponification and the synthesis of biodiesel.
4. Acylation: Process & Agents
In this lesson we will be learning about the concept in organic chemistry called acylation. We will get a brief introduction as to what acylation is and then spend most of our time discussing acylation reactions and the reagents used for the transformations.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AQA A-Level Chemistry: Practice and Study Guide course
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Atomic Structure
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Amount of Substance
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Bonding
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Periodicity
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Basics of Organic Chemistry
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Energetics
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Kinetics
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Equilibria
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Redox Reactions
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Extraction of Metals
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Haloalkanes
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Alkenes
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Alcohols
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Acids and Bases
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Aromatic Chemistry, Amines, Amino Acids & Polymers
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Structure Determination
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Thermodynamics
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Transition Metals
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Reactions of Inorganic Compounds in Aqueous Solution
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Scientific Investigation
- AQA A-Level Chemistry Flashcards