About This Chapter
AQA A-Level Chemistry: Kinetics - Chapter Summary
If you want to make sure you have the knowledge you need to address collision theory, activation energy and other important kinetics concepts, you've come to the right place. This chapter explores topics you can expect to see on the AQA A-Level Chemistry test and prepares you to do the following:
- Define and share the significance of collision theory
- Describe the rate of a chemical reaction
- Provide details about rate constant and rate laws
- Discuss the Boltzmann distribution, temperature and kinetic energy of gases
- Analyze the rate of a chemical reaction
- Share insights into activation energy and catalysts
- Bring to light details about reaction mechanisms and the rate determining step
The resources in this chapter make it easier than ever to prepare for the exam. Brush up on your knowledge of kinetics by reviewing video lessons with fun visual effects or accessing full transcripts with helpful vocabulary words. Watch the lessons in the sequence you choose, and revisit them as often as needed until you feel you've absorbed the information. Gain clarity on any lesson topic by submitting your questions to our experts. At any time, take short quizzes and a chapter exam to assess your comprehension of the lessons.
1. Collision Theory: Definition & Significance
This lesson will define and explain collision theory and explore how it is related to chemical reactions and reaction rates. So if you've ever wondered how two particles combine to form a new product, read on!
2. Rate of a Chemical Reaction: Modifying Factors
Why are some reactions much faster than others? Is it possible to change how fast a reaction occurs? In this lesson, you will learn what the rate of a chemical reaction is. You will also discover how factors such as temperature, concentration, surface area, and catalysts impact reaction rates.
3. Rate Constant and Rate Laws
Learn what the rate law is and how the rate constant relates to it. Learn what reaction order is and how to determine reaction order when given experimental data containing concentration and reaction rate.
4. The Boltzmann Distribution: Temperature and Kinetic Energy of Gases
Gas particles are always moving around at random speeds and in random directions. This makes it difficult to determine what any one particle is doing at a given time. Luckily, the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution provides some help with this.
5. Rate of a Chemical Reaction: Effect of Temperature
Learn how temperature affects reaction rates. Discover the rate law as well as how the Arrhenius equation relates to the rate law and predicts the effect of temperature on the rate of reaction.
6. Activation Energy and Catalysts
Learn how to define activation energy and how it relates to a reaction's energy. Learn what an activated complex is and where it fits into an activation energy diagram. Discover how a catalyst works to change the activation energy of a reaction and what this means to metabolism in the body.
7. Reaction Mechanisms and The Rate Determining Step
This lesson explores what a reaction mechanism is and how it relates to the speed of a reaction. You'll discover how to pinpoint the rate-determining step and learn how to write a rate law based on the rate-determining step.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AQA A-Level Chemistry: Practice and Study Guide course
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Atomic Structure
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Amount of Substance
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Bonding
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Periodicity
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Basics of Organic Chemistry
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Energetics
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Equilibria
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Redox Reactions
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Extraction of Metals
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Haloalkanes
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Alkenes
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Alcohols
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Acids and Bases
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Carbonyl Group Compounds
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Aromatic Chemistry, Amines, Amino Acids & Polymers
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Structure Determination
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Thermodynamics
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Transition Metals
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Reactions of Inorganic Compounds in Aqueous Solution
- AQA A-Level Chemistry: Scientific Investigation
- AQA A-Level Chemistry Flashcards