About This Chapter
Architecture & Design of Famous Churches & Cathedrals - Chapter Summary
Take a look at this collection of engaging architecture lessons to explore the architecture and designs of famous cathedrals and churches from around the world. Our expert instructors explain the architectural styles and histories of several structures, including the Cefalu Cathedral, the Basilica of St. Denis, the Burgos Cathedral and the York Minster Cathedral. When you're finished with a lesson, try the accompanying self-assessment quiz to reinforce your understanding of the information. For your convenience, we've made the chapter accessible on any device that has an Internet connection. When you're finished with the chapter, you'll be able to:
- Summarize the history of the Cefalu Cathedral, the Ely Cathedral and the Ripon Cathedral
- Describe the Cefalu Cathedral's architecture, interior and mosaics
- Recognize the exterior, interior and stained glass of the Durham Cathedral
- Evaluate the York Minster Cathedral's use of stained glass
- Analyze the architecture of the Burgos Cathedral in Spain
- Understand the history and architectural style of the Basilica of St. Denis
1. Cefalu Cathedral: History & Architecture
In this lesson, explore the characteristics the Cefalu Cathedral, an interesting Sicilian monument. Learn about the history of this masterpiece of Italian Moorish architecture, and discover some of its relevant elements.
2. Cefalu Cathedral: Interior & Mosaics
In this lesson, explore the interior of a great example of Italian Norman architecture: the Cefalu Cathedral. Explore the interior design, and learn about the artwork and mosaics used to decorate this marvelous religious building.
3. Durham Cathedral in England: Architecture & Exterior
In this lesson, discover the key aspects of a great example of Romanesque architecture in England: The Durham Cathedral. Review the history of this building, its construction process as well as the most relevant elements of the structure.
4. Durham Cathedral: History & Facts
England has many great churches, but Durham Cathedral is certainly unique. In this lesson, we'll explore this structure and see why it's so important to the history of architecture.
5. Durham Cathedral: Interior & Stained Glass
In this lesson, explore the Durham Cathedral in England. Learn about the interiors of this building that became a pioneer of Gothic architecture. Also, discover the stained glass that decorates the windows, a very interesting element of the cathedral.
6. Ely Cathedral in England: Architecture, Stained Glass & History
Built on an island that was once part of the Cambridgeshire Fens in England, Ely Cathedral has a rich history dating back to 673. This lesson looks at the history, architecture, and stained glass from Ely Cathedral.
7. York Minster Cathedral: Architecture & Stained Glass
England is full of many historical cathedrals. One of the largest in England is the York Minster Cathedral, located in northern England. It's also the home of the largest collection of stained glass in England.
8. Ripon Cathedral: History, Crypt & Library
England has many churches, but Ripon Cathedral is unique. In this lesson, we are going to check out this structure and its history, and see why it's so important.
9. Burgos Cathedral in Spain: Interior & Architecture
In this lesson, you will learn about one of the main examples of Spanish Gothic architecture: the Cathedral of Saint Mary of Burgos. You will study key elements of the cathedral, such as the dome and the golden staircase, as well as the history behind this religious monument.
10. Basilica of St. Denis: Architecture & History
There are many great churches in France, but the Basilica of Saint Denis is unique. In this lesson, we are going to check out the history and design of this structure and see why it's so significant.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Architectural Structures Study Guide course
- Architecture of Famous Mosques
- Architecture & Temples of Asia
- Architecture of Theaters & Opera Houses
- Architecture of Cities
- Bridges of the United States
- Bridges of the World
- Notable US Sights
- Garden Designs & History
- Famous Architectural Works
- Architectural Structures in Spain
- Bridges in the Mid-Atlantic States
- Bridges in the South Atlantic States
- California Architectural Structures
- Canadian Bridges
- European Bridges
- Italian Architectural Structures
- Louisiana Bridges
- Massachusetts Bridges
- New York Architectural Structures
- Oregon Bridges
- Architecure & Design of Famous Castles
- The Great Wall of China