About This Chapter
Architecture & Design of Famous Castles - Chapter Summary
Studying the architecture and design of famous castles is a simple process with help from the bite-sized lessons in this self-paced chapter. Our expert instructors closely examine historical facts about castles like Goodrich, Hadleigh and Conwy. As you study the lessons, check your comprehension of the castles they examine using our multiple-choice quizzes. If you hit a snag or need additional details about specific lesson topics, feel free to submit your questions to our experts. Completing this chapter will enable you to do the following:
- Detail the history and location of Beaumaris Castle
- Describe the interior of Caernarfon Castle and discuss its history
- Explain Conwy Castle's history and detail the battle that occurred there
- Discuss Dunstaffnage Castle's chapel and history
- Outline the history of Goodrich Castle and provide important facts
- Share the history and discuss the painting of Hadleigh Castle
- Provide details about Himeji Castle's history, architecture and restoration
1. Beaumaris Castle: History, Facts & Location
Would you like to visit a truly remarkable castle? A trip to North Wales to see Beaumaris Castle will leave you impressed with its architectural symmetry and imposing defensive structures. In this lesson, we will visit Beaumaris and see why it is such an important piece of Welsh history.
2. Caernarfon Castle: History, Interior & Facts
Castles have their obvious military uses, but they can be important symbols as well. In this lesson, we'll explore Caernarfon Castle and see what it meant to the people who built it.
3. Conwy Castle: History, Battle & Facts
There are many castles in Britain, and each has its own story. In this lesson, we'll check out Conwy Castle and see what role it played in the history of England and Wales.
4. Dunstaffnage Castle: History & Chapel
What comes to mind when you think of castles? Knights in shining armor? Dunstaffnage Castle in northern Scotland saw more turmoil than knights during its history. This lesson looks at the significance of Dunstaffnage Castle and its chapel.
5. Goodrich Castle: History & Facts
In this lesson, we will explore Goodrich Castle, a military fortress and muse for nobles. We will recreate a vision of the architectural details and floor plan of the castle before it fell to ruins.
6. Hadleigh Castle: History & Painting
England is full of many historical castles. Some are still lived in. Some have become museums. Still others have become ruins, such as Hadleigh Castle in southeastern England.
7. Himeji Castle: Architecture & Restoration
For castle-lovers, Japan can be a great place to visit. On the top of the must-see list is Himeji Castle. In this lesson, we'll check out its structure and see how it was designed.
8. Himeji Castle: History & Facts
Himeji Castle is one of the most revered in Japan, but why? In this lesson, we'll look at the history of Himeji Castle and see what it stories it has to tell.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Architectural Structures Study Guide course
- Architecture of Famous Mosques
- Architecture & Temples of Asia
- Architecture of Theaters & Opera Houses
- Architecture of Cities
- Bridges of the United States
- Bridges of the World
- Notable US Sights
- Garden Designs & History
- Famous Architectural Works
- Architectural Structures in Spain
- Bridges in the Mid-Atlantic States
- Bridges in the South Atlantic States
- California Architectural Structures
- Canadian Bridges
- European Bridges
- Italian Architectural Structures
- Louisiana Bridges
- Massachusetts Bridges
- New York Architectural Structures
- Oregon Bridges
- Architecture & Design of Famous Churches & Cathedrals
- The Great Wall of China