About This Chapter
Area, Perimeter, Surface Area & Volume - Chapter Summary
In this chapter is a comprehensive overview of area, perimeter, surface area and volume. Learn from expert instructors the definitions and mathematical operations associated with these concepts. Lessons explore what it means to find area of various objects, including triangles and circles. This chapter also examines how to find the surface area of cubes, pyramids and more.
Once you've completed the lessons, you will better understand volume, perimeter, area and circumference among other concepts. Review this chapter, and in no time you will be able to:
- Discuss the area of triangles, rectangles and circles
- Demonstrate how to find the surface area of a cube, rectangular prism, cylinder and pyramid
- Find the perimeter of triangles and rectangles
- Calculate the volume of prisms, pyramids, cylinders, cones and spheres
- Understand combined figures
All of the lessons in this chapter are available as fun videos with engaging visual and audio effects. If you scroll down from the videos, you will find full transcripts with helpful vocabulary words that can deepen your understanding of the lessons. A self-assessment quiz is available with each lesson that can test your knowledge of its concepts. Feel free to further gauge your comprehension by taking the broader practice exam in this chapter.
1. Area of Triangles and Rectangles
How do you find out the area of rectangles and triangles? Learn how in this lesson! We'll look at the formulas, then practice solving problems for each shape.
2. Circles: Area and Circumference
Understanding how to calculate the area and circumference of circles plays a vital role in some of our everyday functions. They serve as the foundation for operating with three-dimensional figures. Learn more about the area and circumference of circles in this lesson.
3. How to Find Surface Area of a Cube and a Rectangular Prism
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to use the formula for the surface area of a rectangular prism. You will know what measurements you need to use it and how you can apply it to a cube as well.
4. How to Find Surface Area of a Cylinder
Watch this video lesson to learn the formula you can use to find the surface area of a cylinder. Learn the measurements that you'll need as well as how to use them.
5. How to Find Surface Area of a Pyramid
In this video lesson, we will learn how to take any pyramid, whether it's a pyramid in Egypt or a little toy pyramid, and calculate how much paint we will need to paint it. Learn the formula and what is behind it.
6. Volume of Prisms and Pyramids
In this lesson, we'll learn about prisms and pyramids. We'll look at the different types of prisms and pyramids, as well as practice calculating volume for each shape.
7. Volume of Cylinders, Cones, and Spheres
In this lesson, we'll learn about the volume formulas for cylinders, cones and spheres. We'll also practice using the formula in a variety of real-world examples where knowing how to calculate volume is helpful.
8. Combined Figures: Perimeter, Area, and Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can break up the shapes in a combined figure to easily find the perimeter, area, and volume of the whole figure.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Elementary Education Subtest 2 (103): Practice & Study Guide course
- Numeration, Number Sense, & Mathematical Operations
- Prime Numbers, Composite Numbers & Divisibility Rules
- The Least Common Multiple & Greatest Common Factor
- Place Values, Ordering Fractions & Decimals
- Rounding & Estimating Numbers
- Arithmetic & Estimation Using Decimals
- Mixed Numbers & Fractions
- Solving & Graphing Rational Numbers
- Rates, Ratios & Proportions
- Scientific Notation Math
- Strategies for Math Word Problems
- Tools for Representing Mathematical Concepts
- Calculating & Interpreting Statistical Data
- Algebraic Patterns, Equations & Functions
- Equalities & Inequalities
- Properties of Geometric Shapes
- Converting & Graphing Units of Measurement
- Life & Zoological Sciences
- Plants, Biomes & Genetics
- Taxonomy & Evolution
- Physical, Earth & Space Sciences
- Components of the Solar System & Universe
- Weather, Climate & Geologic Systems
- Scientific Method, Inquiry & Data Analysis
- Music, Drama, Theater & the Arts
- Health & Fitness in Children
- NES Elementary Education Subtest 2 Flashcards