About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other AP calculus work.
- Identify the area under the curve and integrals concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our AP calculus tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn area under the curve and integrals for AP calculus and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding summation notation, Riemann sums, average value theorem, arc lengths of functions or any other area under the curve and integrals topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their math learning
- Prefer learning math visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their area under the curve and integrals unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in AP calculus
- Don't have access to their math teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about area under the curve and integrals for AP calculus simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live calculus tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about area under the curve and integrals on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Understand how to use summation notation.
- Use Riemann sums for functions and graphs.
- Identify and draw right, left, and middle Riemann sums.
- Become familiar with the trapezoid rule.
- Determine the limits of Riemann sums.
- Learn the definition of definite integrals.
- Calculate integrals using Riemann sums.
- Describe the linear properties of definite integrals.
- Explain the applications of the average value theorem.
- Discuss the relationship between antiderivatives and indefinite integrals.
- Take a look at the fundamental theorem of calculus.
- Find the arc length of a function.
1. How to Use Riemann Sums for Functions and Graphs
Find out how Riemann sums can be used to calculate multiple areas efficiently. In this lesson, you'll learn how this can come in handy for irregular areas and how you can put it to use.
2. How to Identify and Draw Left, Right and Middle Riemann Sums
To overestimate or underestimate? In this lesson, you will draw Riemann rectangles so the right side, left side or middle of the rectangle hits the curve.
3. What is the Trapezoid Rule?
In this lesson, you'll move beyond simple rectangles to estimate the area under a curve. Get more sophisticated with your approximations and use trapezoids instead of those pesky rectangles.
4. How to Find the Limits of Riemann Sums
What would happen if you could draw an infinite number of infinitesimally thin rectangles? You'd get the exact area under a curve! Define the Holy Grail of calculus, the integral, in this lesson.
5. Definite Integrals: Definition
Explore how driving backwards takes you where you've already been as we define definite integrals. This lesson will also teach you the relationship between definite integrals and Riemann sums. Then, discover how an integral changes when it is above and below the x-axis.
6. How to Use Riemann Sums to Calculate Integrals
As a new property owner, you might relish mowing your lawn. Up and down your property you mow and measure out small sections to find the area of your property. In this lesson, you will discover what a Riemann sum approach is and how to calculate an estimated area using multiple slices.
7. Linear Properties of Definite Integrals
If you're having integration problems, this lesson will relate integrals to everyday driving examples. We'll review a few linear properties of definite integrals while practicing with some problems.
8. Average Value Theorem
If you know you've gone 120 miles in 2 hours, you're averaging 60 mph. But what if you know your velocity at every point in time and not how far you've gone? In this lesson, learn how to calculate average values using integrals.
9. The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus
The fundamental theorem of calculus is one of the most important equations in math. In this lesson we start to explore what the ubiquitous FTOC means as we careen down the road at 30 mph.
10. Indefinite Integrals as Anti Derivatives
What does an anti-derivative have to do with a derivative? Is a definite integral a self-confident version of an indefinite integral? Learn how to define these in this lesson.
11. How to Find the Arc Length of a Function
You don't always walk in a straight line. Sometimes, you want to know the distance between two points when the path is curved. In this lesson, you'll learn about finding the length of a curve.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP Calculus AB & BC: Tutoring Solution course
- Functions in AP Calculus: Tutoring Solution
- Graphing and Functions in AP Calculus: Tutoring Solution
- Sequences and Series in AP Calculus: Tutoring Solution
- Limits in AP Calculus: Tutoring Solution
- Continuity in AP Calculus: Tutoring Solution
- Exponentials and Logarithms in AP Calculus: Tutoring Solution
- Exponents and Polynomials in AP Calculus: Tutoring Solution
- Applications of Derivatives in AP Calculus: Tutoring Solution
- AP Calculus - Derivatives Calculations & Rules: Tutoring Solution
- Differential Equations in AP Calculus: Tutoring Solution
- AP Calculus - Graphing Derivatives & L'Hopital's Rule: Tutoring Solution
- AP Calculus - Integration: Tutoring Solution
- Integration Applications in AP Calculus: Tutoring Solution
- Rate of Change in AP Calculus: Tutoring Solution
- Geometry and Trigonometry in AP Calculus: Tutoring Solution
- How to Use Scientific Calculators for AP Calculus: Tutoring Solution