About This Chapter
Arithmetic & Geometric Series - Chapter Summary
If you need to brush up on arithmetic and geometric series, you're in the right place. This chapter contains simple and fun lessons that examine the basics of geometric and arithmetic series. Our instructors will also simplify related concepts like compounding interest formulas, repeating decimals, installment purchases and the infinite geometric series formula. Upon completion of the chapter, you'll be equipped to:
- Calculate geometric and arithmetic series
- Solve problems that involve arithmetic and geometric series
- Comprehend the infinite geometric series formula
- Use compounding interest formulas
- Recognize examples of repeating decimals
- Understand installment purchase terms
This chapter is available for you to study whenever it's convenient, and you can access it by using your desktop, laptop or smartphone. You can check your understanding of arithmetic and geometric series concepts by taking the lesson quizzes and chapter exam. Print the lesson transcripts to supplement your studying experience and revisit the lessons whenever you need to boost your knowledge.
1. How to Calculate an Arithmetic Series
In this lesson, you'll learn how to sum up any arithmetic sequence without having to add up each and every term. You'll never guess the circumstances that led to the discovery of this marvelous formula.
2. How to Calculate a Geometric Series
If you're not satisfied with knowing how many views your YouTube video will get any one day and need to know how many total views you're getting, geometric series are for you! Learn more in this lesson.
3. Understand the Formula for Infinite Geometric Series
Watch this video lesson to learn how to calculate the sum of an infinite geometric series. Learn about the interesting thing that happens when your common ratio is less than one.
4. Arithmetic and Geometric Series: Practice Problems
There are many different types of problems concerning series and sequences - including some that are pretty abstract. From bouncing balls to adding up odd numbers, test your skills here with additional arithmetic and geometric series practice!
5. Compounding Interest Formulas: Calculations & Examples
Compound interest is a great way to have your money work for you. In this lesson, find out the formula for calculating compound interest and practice using the formula with several examples.
6. Installment Purchases: Payment & Terms
After watching this video lesson, you will know how installment purchases work. Learn how you can calculate the amount of your fixed installment payment.
7. Repeating Decimals: Definition & Examples
Repeating decimals are a special type of number. In this lesson, we will explore the definition of this number and look at some of the properties it holds.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the HSC Mathematics: Exam Prep & Syllabus course
- Mathematical Proofs & Reasoning
- Basic Arithmetic & Algebra
- Factorization of Binomials & Trinomials
- Types of Equations & Inequalities
- Plane Geometry
- Circle Plane Geometry
- Probability & Randomization
- Trigonometric Ratios
- Geometrical Representations of Functions
- Linear Functions & Lines
- Derivatives of Functions
- Quadratic Polynomials & Parabolas
- Geometrical Applications of Differentiation
- Logarithmic & Exponential Functions
- Calculating Trigonometric Functions
- Understanding Inverse Functions
- Factoring & Graphing Polynomials
- Roots & Coefficients of Polynomials
- Binomial Theorem & Probability
- Graphing & Solving Functions
- Solving & Graphing Complex Numbers
- Geometric Representations of Complex Numbers
- Square Roots, Powers & Roots of Complex Numbers
- Conic Sections Basics
- The Ellipse in Algebra
- The Hyperbola
- The Rectangular Hyperbola
- Calculus Applications: Rate of Change
- Calculus Applications: Velocity & Acceleration
- Calculus Applications: Projectile & Harmonic Motion
- Calculus Applications: Resisted Motion
- Calculus Applications: Circular Motion
- HSC Mathematics Flashcards