About This Chapter
Arithmetic in Computer Binary- Chapter Summary
Follow along with our knowledgable instructors to study binary number arithmetic. As you progress through these short and simple lessons, you'll learn how to perform arithmetic operations for binary and floating point numbers. The lessons also discuss the practical applications of computer arithmetic. You can work through this chapter at your own pace, and we've included several assessments to help you reinforce your understanding of the lesson topics. By the end of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Add, multiply and divide binary numbers
- Use arithmetic operations for floating point numbers
- Describe the practical applications of computer arithmetic in computer architecture
1. How to Add Binary Numbers
In this lesson, you'll see that adding binary numbers isn't that difficult. And in some ways, it might be even easier than your regular addition! You'll learn the 3 rules to adding binary numbers and work out a few examples.
2. Binary Division & Multiplication: Rules & Examples
Binary numbers are the basis for all that is happening inside computers or electronic devices. In this lesson, learn how to multiply and divide binary numbers.
3. Four Basic Arithmetic Operations for Floating Point Numbers
Have you ever wondered what floating points are, if they matter, and how to perform arithmetic operations on them? Exploring floating points in the context of basic arithmetic will provide an appreciation for this often misunderstood number type.
4. Practical Application for Computer Architecture: Computer Arithmetic
In this lesson, you will apply your knowledge of binary numbers and perform arithmetic on binary numbers. You will perform operations on both integer and floating point binary numbers.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Computer Science 306: Computer Architecture course
- Introduction to Computer Architecture & Hardware
- Data Representation in Digital Computing Systems
- Boolean Logic Gates & Functions
- Digital Circuit Theory: Combinational Logic Circuits
- Digital Circuit Theory: Sequential Logic Circuits
- How Memory Functions in a Computer
- Instruction Set Architecture
- Input/Output in Computer Architecture
- Parallel Computer Architecture
- Evaluating Computer Performance
- Required Assignments for Computer Science 306