About This Chapter
Arithmetic in Everyday Life - Chapter Summary
Who hasn't needed help calculating a tip at some point? This aspect of everyday arithmetic and others will be answered as you work through this chapter. You'll go over multiplying money, using fractions for everyday needs, and calculating taxes. Once you get through all the information in this chapter, you should be able to:
- Use whole numbers and decimals to multiply money
- Give examples of how fractions are useful in daily life
- Utilize fractions in everyday measurement
- Figure the correct tip on a dinner ticket
- Solve discounted amounts
Experienced instructors have developed these lessons using plenty of real-world examples. You can skip from lesson to lesson as needed and test your skills through the lesson quizzes and chapter exam. Use the video timeline to quickly jump to a spot in the lesson which you might need to focus on a little more. The flexibility of the tools in this chapter allow you to study in your own way and at your own pace.
1. Multiplying Money by Whole Numbers & Decimals
Want to find out how much you and your friends can spend on a party if you all have the same amount of money? Or maybe you'd want to buy investments one day in hopes of being rich! In either event, you'll need to know how to multiply money.
2. Using Fractions in Everyday Life: Examples & Importance
Fractions are not just there to give you a headache. Actually, you probably already use fractions without even knowing it. And without fractions, you wouldn't be able to tell time or cook with recipes. Learn more in this lesson.
3. How to Calculate a Tip
Tips are quantities of money that are often added onto to the original cost of a bill. Figuring out these items is as simple as setting up a ratio between the tip percentage and the bill amount. In this lesson learn how easy it is to calculate a tip.
4. Taxes & Discounts: Calculations & Examples
When you go shopping, you don't want to be surprised by the amount of tax on an item. You also want to fully understand discounts to know how much you can save. In this lesson, we'll practice calculating both tax and discounts.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Accuplacer Arithmetic Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- About the Accuplacer Arithmetic Test
- Accuplacer Arithmetic Test: Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication & Division of Whole Numbers
- Accuplacer Arithmetic Test: Fractions
- Accuplacer Arithmetic Test: Decimals
- Accuplacer Arithmetic Test: Percents
- Equalities & Inequalities
- Accuplacer Arithmetic Flashcards