About This Chapter
Aromatic Compounds - Chapter Summary
This entertaining chapter can help you gain a quality understanding of aromatic compounds. Learn all about bond order, the relationship between benzene and cancer, the uses of toluene, the structure and uses of nitrobenzene and much more by exploring entertaining lessons. Our multiple-choice quizzes and chapter exam offer quick reviews and confirm your knowledge of these topics. Feel free to use the Dashboard to keep track of your progress in this chapter and submit any lesson topic questions you have to our experts. Upon completion, you will be able to do the following:
- Define and discuss the uses of aromatic hydrocarbons
- Share the definition of an aromatic compound and discuss aromatic compound naming
- Exhibit knowledge of benzene derivatives and compounds
- Explain what happens when electrophiles and arenes react
- Compare and contrast inductive, mesomeric and electromeric effects
- Describe the reaction of nitration
- Discuss the Friedel-Crafts reaction through alkylation and acylation
- Offer descriptions of Friedel-Crafts Acylation reactions in synthesis
- Showcase an understanding of nucleophilic aromatic substitution
1. Aromatic Hydrocarbons: Definition, Examples & Uses
Learn about aromatic hydrocarbons, what they are and how they got their name. Understand what makes this class of chemicals so special. Learn some examples of aromatic hydrocarbons and the various ways they are used.
2. What is an Aromatic Compound? - Definition & Example
The term 'aromatic' is used by chemists for substances with distinct odors. In this lesson, we will learn all about aromatic compounds, the features of such compounds' chemical structures, and Huckel's Rule.
3. Bond Order: Definition, Formula & Examples
This lesson is an introduction to the concept of bond order, including its calculation in simple molecules and resonance structures. You'll understand these ideas a little better if you're familiar with molecular orbital theory.
4. Aromatic Compound Naming: Types & Examples
In this lesson we'll be exploring the differences in naming aromatic compounds compared to naming aliphatic compounds. We'll go over common and systematic names for aromatic compounds and give examples.
5. Benzene & Cancer
Benzene is a chemical that has been linked to cancer in human and animal studies. This lesson teaches you what this cancer is, what happens in this type of cancer, and how benzene is linked to it.
6. Benzene Derivatives & Compounds
In this lesson we'll be examining the aromatic class of compounds known as benzene derivatives. From gasoline to household plastics, we'll look at what compounds contain benzene, where they come from and potential risks.
7. What is Toluene? - Structure, Uses & Formula
If you have ever painted a wall, then you have encountered toluene. Toluene is a chemical compound we use more often than we think. In this lesson, we will be learning all about toluene, including its many uses, formula, and chemical structure.
8. Electrophilic Substitution & Aromatic Hydrocarbons
In this lesson we will learn what happens when arenes and electrophiles react, and how electrophilic substitutions occur. We will also look at an example of electrophilic substitution.
9. Inductive, Mesomeric & Electromeric Effects
This lesson will discuss inductive, mesomeric and electromeric effects with examples. We will also discuss some of the factors affecting electron availability in organic molecules, along with their consequences.
10. Nitration: Reaction & Products
In this lesson, we'll learn about an important reaction in organic chemistry known as nitration. In addition to exploring the reaction mechanism, we'll get some practical application of these building blocks and explore what they can be used for.
11. Nitrobenzene: Structure, Formula & Uses
In this lesson, we will learn about nitrobenzene, an aromatic derivative of benzene. We will learn about its properties, how it is produced, and how it is typically used.
12. Friedel-Crafts Reactions: Alkylation & Acylation
Benzene is extremely stable, as such it is hard to force a reaction to occur involving benzene. Friedel-Crafts reaction is a way to make a new carbon-carbon bond on a benzene ring. This can occur through alkylation or acylation.
13. Friedel-Crafts Acylation Reactions in Synthesis
Aromatic compounds are important biological compounds, but it is difficult to see reactions occur on them. Friedel-Crafts Acylation are one type of reaction that can occur on aromatic compounds.
14. Nucleophilic Aromatic Substitution
In this lesson we'll be looking at the mechanism of nucleophilic aromatic substitution reactions including addition-elimination and the formation of the Meisenheimer complex as well as elimination-addition reactions.
15. Determining Aromaticity & Conjugation: Practice Problems
Aromatic compounds react differently than other organic compounds, so it is important to know how to identify them. In this lesson, we will practice identifying aromatic compounds.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.