About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering ancient Greek art and architecture will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about this country's ancient art and architectural style. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing important works of ancient Greek architecture and art
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning about art and architecture (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the Art & Architecture in Ancient Greece chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Art & Architecture in Ancient Greece chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any art history question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about ancient Greek art and architecture for a standard art history course. Topics covered include:
- Ancient Aegean architecture and art
- Famous architects of ancient Greece
- More art and architectural concepts from the ancient Greeks
1. Ancient Aegean Art & Architecture
What kind of art would you make if you lived on islands? What kind of structures would you build? The people who lived in the Aegean islands were creative and learned diverse skills. In this lesson, we'll explore ancient Aegean art and architecture
2. Famous Ancient Greek Architects
Greek architecture provided a lasting foundation for design around the globe, and particularly for western architecture today. This lesson will look at famous ancient Greek architects and their lasting influence.
3. The Statue of Zeus at Olympia: History & Facts
This lesson takes an exciting look at the Statue of Zeus at Olympia, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. Specifically, this lesson addresses the history of its construction and the mystery of its destruction as well as the specific details of its design.
4. The Temple of Poseidon: History, Location & Facts
Poseidon was the ancient Greek god of the sea. The site of the mighty temple at Sounion honors him perfectly as the crag the temple is situated on plunges over 200 feet to the sea. This lesson examines the story behind the sea god's temple including the location and history.
5. The Temple of Artemis at Ephesus: History, Architecture & Facts
Artemis, also known as the great mother goddess and goddess of fertility is honored with a temple at Ephesus. In this lesson we will uncover facts about the temple's history and architecture.
6. The Sanctuary of Artemis Orthia: History & Temple
Artemis Orthia is not one of the most well-known of the Greek goddesses, but there's a lot we can learn from her temple. In this lesson, we'll explore this site and see what it tells us about the ancient world.
7. Venus De Milo Sculpture: History, Arms & Sculptor
The Venus de Milo is one of the most famous masterpieces in the Western canon, but how much do you really know about it? In this lesson, we'll check out this sculpture and see why so much mystery surrounds it.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Art, Music, and Architecture Around the World course
- Renaissance Art & Architecture
- Religious Art, Music & Architecture
- Musical Genres
- Music from the Classical Period
- Art Genres
- Art & Architecture of the Ancient Middle East
- Art & Architecture of Ancient Rome
- Art & Architecture of Ancient Africa
- Art & Architecture in the Americas
- Art & Architecture in Ancient Asia
- Ancient South American Art & Architecture
- Architectural Themes
- Art & Architecture of Europe
- Art of the Neoclassical Period
- Carving, Woodcuts & Woodblock Printing
- Glass in Art & Architecture