About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering the art and/or architecture of ancient Africa will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about these cultural details of ancient Africa. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in their learning of ancient African art and/or architecture
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning world culture (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the Art & Architecture of Ancient Africa chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Art & Architecture of Ancient Africa chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any world culture question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about ancient African art and architecture for a standard world history course. Topics covered include:
- The architecture and tools of Africa's Iron Age
- Architects of ancient Egypt
- Ancient African artwork
1. African Iron Age Architecture & Tools
The Iron Age was a formative time for Africa. In this lesson, we'll discuss the impact of the Iron Age on African societies and see how this influenced their architecture and tools.
2. Ancient Egyptian Architects
How would you feel to be the first person to design a pyramid? Who developed such an idea and who was its architect? In this lesson, let's look at the work and projects of ancient Egyptian architects.
3. Characteristics of Ancient African Art
Ancient African art was created by skilled craftsmen in sub-Saharan civilizations working with bronze and copper more than 3,500 years ago. Learn about the artworks of creative ancient African cultures, from petroglyphs drawn on cave walls to the tools and largely biodegradable and limited resources they had to work with.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the Art, Music, and Architecture Around the World course
- Renaissance Art & Architecture
- Religious Art, Music & Architecture
- Musical Genres
- Music from the Classical Period
- Art Genres
- Art & Architecture of the Ancient Middle East
- Art & Architecture of Ancient Rome
- Art & Architecture in the Americas
- Art & Architecture in Ancient Asia
- Ancient South American Art & Architecture
- Art & Architecture in Ancient Greece
- Architectural Themes
- Art & Architecture of Europe
- Art of the Neoclassical Period
- Carving, Woodcuts & Woodblock Printing
- Glass in Art & Architecture