About This Chapter
Art Education for Early Childhood - Chapter Summary
This informative chapter outlines art education for early childhood. In these lessons, you'll review ways to introduce young students, including special needs students, to art, music and drama. Once you complete this chapter, you should be able to:
- Understand how the arts are integrated into early childhood curricula
- Create visual art along with children
- Develop art projects you can complete with your special needs students
- Teach children using music
- Use movement and drama to teach young children
- Engage preschool students with dramatic play activities
Professional instructors created these user-friendly lessons and quizzes, so you can be confident in the knowledge that you're learning accurate information. To ensure you're following along in the chapter, take the short quiz provided after each lesson. You can study at any time that works well for you using these mobile-friendly materials which are accessible 24 hours a day.
1. Integrating the Arts in Early Childhood Curriculum
Early childhood education curricula should provide children opportunities to learn in a creative and imaginative way. This lesson provides suggestions for integrating the arts into the content areas of math, literacy, science and social studies.
2. Messy Hands: Creating Visual Art with Children
Are you ready to get your hands dirty? Or at least hands covered in paint? If so go no further. This lesson will discuss the importance of creating visual art with children and offer some ideas to help you get 'messy hands' for learning.
3. Developing Art Projects for Special Needs Students
Art can be a wonderful way to get students of all ability levels interested in learning. In this lesson we'll go over some ideas for developing art projects for young children with special needs.
4. Using Music to Teach Children
Music can be an effective tool for enhancing instruction. In this lesson, you will explore the elements, characteristics, and tools involved with using music to enhance learning experiences.
5. Teaching Children Through Movement & Drama
The process of teaching children can be more effective when elements of movement and drama are integrated into their lessons. Learn how to create high-impact active learning experiences for students.
6. Dramatic Play Activities for Preschool
Play can be one of the most wonderful ways for children to learn about themselves, each other, language, and the world around them. This lesson gives you ideas for how to set up dramatic play for preschool students.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Pre-Kindergarten Education (5531): Practice & Study Guide course
- Development of Young Children
- Basics of Early Childhood Education
- Influences on Early Childhood Development
- Language Development in Children
- Atypical Development & Delays
- Federal Legislation Related to Children With Exceptionalities
- Accommodating Children With Diverse Needs
- Adaptive & Assistive Equipment for Learning
- Multicultural & Antibias Curriculum
- Early Childhood Classroom Safety
- Learning Environments in Early Education
- Managing the Learning Environment
- Instructional Planning for Early Education
- Instructional Processes for Early Education
- Grouping Techniques for Classrooms
- Integrated Curriculum & Interdisciplinary Connections for ECE
- Physical Health & Wellness Education
- Fundamentals of Literacy in Early Education
- Fundamentals of Math in Early Education
- Fundamentals of Social Studies in Early Education
- Fundamentals of Science in Early Education
- Assessment Data in Early Education
- Early Childhood Educational Technology
- Assessments in Early Childhood Education
- Professional Development for Early Childhood Teachers
- Ethics & Professionalism in Early Education
- Family Collaboration & Advocacy in Early Childhood Education
- Praxis Pre-Kindergarten Education Flashcards