About This Chapter
Art in Aegean Culture & Ancient Greece - Chapter Summary
In this comprehensive art history chapter, our expert instructors examine the significance of ancient Aegean, Minoan, Mycenaean and Greek art. You'll study the histories of these particular cultures and explore the ways in which their cultural characteristics are shown through their artwork. When you're finished with a lesson, try the accompanying self-assessment quiz to retain the information. The chapter can be accessed on any computer or mobile device, and you can submit questions to our instructors if you have any. Upon completion of the chapter, you should be equipped to:
- Summarize the history of the ancient Aegean civilization
- Evaluate pieces of Minoan art
- Describe ancient Greek and Mycenaean culture
- Recognize the influence that culture and religion had on Greek art
- Analyze Greek art from the Geometric, Archaic and Classical periods
- Compare types of ancient Greek pottery
- Assess the characteristics of the Parthenon
- Identify the artistic and historical developments of the Hellenistic period
1. Ancient Aegean Civilization
Minos and the Minotaur. Helen of Troy. Odysseus and his Odyssey. These names, still famous today, bring to mind the glories of the Bronze Age Aegean. But what was the truth behind these legends? This lesson examines the history of the ancient Aegean.
2. Minoan Art: History & Images
In this lesson, we'll explore various types of artwork created by the Minoans. Minoans were early Greeks who created vivid images in their artwork, which became a popular export to surrounding areas.
3. Mycenaean Culture & Art: History & Influence
Who lived in Greece before the Greeks? Have you ever heard of Mycenae? In this lesson, explore Mycenaean culture and art and learn how it influenced later cultures.
4. Ancient Greece: History & Culture
The ancient Greeks thrived from about 800 BCE until roughly 30 BCE. Through culture, conquest, architecture, government, and the arts, the ancient Greeks made an impact on civilizations then, and continue to do so today.
5. Greek Culture & Religion: Overview & Influences on Art
In this lesson we will see the characteristics that differentiate Greek culture from others of its time. In addition, we will see how these characteristics, as well as religion, influenced Greek art.
6. Greek Art of the Geometric & Archaic Periods
In this lesson, you will explore two artistic periods in Greek art that saw the foundations of Greek styles emerge. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
7. Ancient Greek Pottery: Types, History & Facts
Have you ever wondered how the ancient Greeks made pottery and why they had so many different types? In this lesson, we'll discuss the history of ancient Greek pottery and learn how to identify the different styles of vessels.
8. Art of Ancient Greece's Classical Period
In this lesson, you will explore the artistic achievements of the Greek classical period and discover how these changes affected Western art. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
9. The Parthenon
In this lesson, you will explore the architectural and artistic design of the great Athenian temple called the Parthenon. Then, you can test your understanding with a brief quiz.
10. Historical & Artistic Developments of Greece's Hellenistic Period
In this lesson, you will explore the cultural and artistic changes of the Hellenistic Period, the last major era of Ancient Greece. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Art 103: History of Western Art I course
- Understanding the Study of Western Art
- Visual Art During the Prehistoric Era: Paleolithic & Neolithic
- Art in Mesopotamia
- Art in Ancient Egypt
- Ancient Roman Architecture, Sculpture & Mosaics
- Jewish & Christian Art in Late Antiquity
- Art & Religion in the Byzantine Empire
- Art in the Islamic World
- Art During the Early Middle Ages in Europe
- Romanesque Art During the Middle Ages in Europe
- Gothic Art During the Middle Ages in Europe
- Studying for Art 103