About This Chapter
Art in Ancient Egypt - Chapter Summary
Instructors in this chapter offer a comprehensive overview of art in ancient Egypt. Entertaining lessons provide in-depth analyses of the Amarna period, Egyptian pyramids, the Luxor temple, art in Tutankhamen's tomb and much more. If you develop questions while studying these lessons, feel free to submit them to our subject-matter experts. Our mini quizzes and practice exam can gauge how well you understand ancient Egyptian art. After completing this chapter, you will be ready to do the following:
- Detail the history, politics and culture of ancient Egyptian art and architecture
- Explain the relationship of ancient Egyptian art and architecture to their cosmology and rulers
- Provide a description of the pharaohs as patrons of the arts
- Discuss ancient Egypt's funerary beliefs, practices and temples
- Share a description of the structure of the Egyptian pyramids
- Describe the innovative sculptures and paintings of ancient Egypt
- Define and describe the art of the Amarna period
- Offer facts about the Luxor Temple in Egypt
- Give a description of ancient Egyptian burial chamber art in Tutankhamen's tomb
- Exhibit knowledge of Ancient Egypt's decline and Nubian art
1. Ancient Egyptian Art & Architecture: History, Politics & Culture
In this lesson, you will explore the rich traditions of ancient Egyptian art and architecture and discover what these can tell us about Egyptian life, politics, and culture.
2. Ancient Egyptian Art & Architecture's Relationship to Their Cosmology & Rulers
In this lesson, you will explore Egyptian cosmology and discover the links between their religion, pharaoh, art, and architecture. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
3. The Pharaohs as Patrons of the Arts
In this lesson, you will discover how the pharaohs of ancient Egypt used their power and wealth to become great patrons of the arts. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
4. Funerary Beliefs, Practices & Temples in Ancient Egypt
In this lesson, you will explore the religious and funerary practices of the ancient Egyptians and discover how their architecture was influenced by these beliefs. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
5. Egyptian Pyramids: Definition, Facts & Structure
In this lesson, we will discuss the construction of the Egyptian pyramids. Learn about the evolution of pyramids from underground tombs to the true pyramid form.
6. Ancient Egyptian Sculptures & Paintings: Innovation & Examples
Advanced beyond its time, ancient Egypt is known for its sculptures, paintings, written language, construction methods, and other innovations. This lesson will look at the art of the ancient Egyptians and their innovations in sculpture and painting.
7. Amarna Period: Definition & Art
In this lesson, you'll read about Egypt's Amarna Period, during which the pharaoh, Akhenaten, made revolutionary changes to Egyptian religion, art, and society, including moving the capital to a new city, Akhetaten (near the modern town of Amarna).
8. The Luxor Temple in Egypt: Facts & Overview
The Luxor Temple was a religious temple complex built in honor of the Egyptian god Amon-Ra. Learn the features of the Egyptian temples by exploring the design of the Luxor Temple.
9. Ancient Egyptian Burial Chamber Art in Tutankhamen's Tomb
In this lesson, we are going to look at the pieces of art found in one of the most important Egyptian discoveries: King Tut's tomb. Learn about the discovery of the tomb, the chambers inside it, and the many objects and art pieces located there.
10. Ancient Egypt's Decline & Nubian Art
In this lesson, explore the art of one of the earliest inhabitants of the Nile Valley, the Nubians. Learn about the architecture and artwork of this ancient civilization and how it sprang from their relationship with and wars against the Egyptian empire.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Art 103: History of Western Art I course
- Understanding the Study of Western Art
- Visual Art During the Prehistoric Era: Paleolithic & Neolithic
- Art in Mesopotamia
- Art in Aegean Culture & Ancient Greece
- Ancient Roman Architecture, Sculpture & Mosaics
- Jewish & Christian Art in Late Antiquity
- Art & Religion in the Byzantine Empire
- Art in the Islamic World
- Art During the Early Middle Ages in Europe
- Romanesque Art During the Middle Ages in Europe
- Gothic Art During the Middle Ages in Europe
- Studying for Art 103