About This Chapter
Art in the Islamic World - Chapter Summary
In this art history chapter, our expert instructors walk you through the history, characteristics and influences of Islamic art and architecture. These bite-sized lessons examine Islamic mosques, calligraphy, geometric patterns, carpet weaving and much more. You'll be able to reinforce your understanding of these topics by taking the included lesson quizzes and chapter exam. If you have any questions about these particular Islamic art concepts, simply reach out to our instructors. Upon completion of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Analyze the characteristics of Islamic architecture and art
- Assess the religious influences on Islamic geometric patterns
- Recognize the features of Islamic mosques
- Compare Islamic calligraphy styles
- Discuss the history of Islamic carpet weaving
- Explain how Islamic art influenced European art
1. Islamic Art & Architecture: History & Characteristics
How would you decorate surfaces without pictures of people or animals? What do calligraphy and geometry have in common? They're used in Islamic art. In this lesson, explore some history and characteristics of Islamic art and architecture.
2. Islamic Geometric Patterns: Religious Influences & Examples
In this lesson, explore Islamic geometric patterns in various art forms, including architecture and carpets. Learn about the religious influences behind the development of these elaborate designs, the main elements that compose the patterns, and some examples of their use in art.
3. Importance of Mosques in the Islamic World: Features & Examples
In this lesson, learn about a type of building that's considered the heart of the Islamic world: the mosque. Explore some of their common characteristics as well as their importance for Islam. Also, discover some beautiful and sacred examples of mosques throughout the Islamic world.
4. Calligraphy in Islamic Art: Definition, Styles & Uses
Have you ever written a letter with decorative flourishes? Can writing be art? In this lesson, explore a type of Islamic art called calligraphy. Find out how it is used and learn about different styles.
5. Carpet Weaving in Islamic Art: History, Creation & Uses
In this lesson, discover the art of carpet weaving in the Islamic world. Learn the history of these artistic and functional pieces, and explore the creation process of the main types of Islamic rugs as well as some practical uses for them.
6. Influences of Islamic Art on European Art: Trade & Diplomacy
In this lesson, learn about the influences of the Islamic world on European art. Explore the importance that was given to Islamic art in medieval Europe and discover how trade and diplomacy allowed Christian art to be influenced by Islamic art.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Art 103: History of Western Art I course
- Understanding the Study of Western Art
- Visual Art During the Prehistoric Era: Paleolithic & Neolithic
- Art in Mesopotamia
- Art in Ancient Egypt
- Art in Aegean Culture & Ancient Greece
- Ancient Roman Architecture, Sculpture & Mosaics
- Jewish & Christian Art in Late Antiquity
- Art & Religion in the Byzantine Empire
- Art During the Early Middle Ages in Europe
- Romanesque Art During the Middle Ages in Europe
- Gothic Art During the Middle Ages in Europe
- Studying for Art 103