About This Chapter
Art & Religion in the Byzantine Empire - Chapter Summary
Follow along with our expert art history instructors to explore the characteristics, styles and techniques of Byzantine religion, art and architecture. After reviewing a historical timeline of the empire, you'll study the Hagia Sophia, Byzantine Iconoclasm and different periods of Byzantine art . These short lessons help you quickly move through the chapter and remember essential Byzantine art terms. Take the accompanying self-assessment quizzes to make sure you fully understand the material. When you're finished, you should be able to:
- Summarize the history of the Byzantine Empire
- Assess early Byzantine art styles and techniques
- Recognize the characteristics of Byzantine art and architecture
- Discuss the historical importance of the Hagia Sophia
- Define the concept of Byzantine Iconoclasm
- Identify the influences of late Byzantine art
1. The Byzantine Empire: History, Culture & Timeline
In this lesson, you'll learn about the historical and cultural timeline of the Byzantine Empire and a bit about its famous emperors, Constantine and Justinian, seeing just how this 'New Rome' was established.
2. Early Byzantine Art: Techniques, Styles & Culture
In this lesson, you will explore the first period of truly Byzantine art, a style based out of Constantinople. Afterward, you can test your understanding with a brief quiz.
3. Byzantine Architecture: History, Characteristics & Examples
In this lesson, we look at the development of Byzantine architecture. We examine its relationship to the Byzantine Emperor Justinian. We then compare Byzantine architecture to early Christian architecture and enumerate the distinctly Byzantine elements of their art and architecture: central-plan, domes and pendentives. Finally, we touch briefly on how these architectural masterpieces were decorated.
4. The Hagia Sophia as Art: Features & Historical Importance
The Hagia Sophia is one of the most important Byzantine structures ever built. It holds historical significance as a culminating feature of the Christian era Roman Empire and stands as a monument to artistic and architectural achievement.
5. Byzantine Art: Mosaics, History & Characteristics
This lesson covers Byzantine art and explains the difficulties of imposing artistic periods. Justinian is introduced as the man behind the Byzantine Golden Age. We explore the interesting dynamic between Byzantine imperialism and Christian religion. Finally, we take a brief look at eastern religious icons.
6. Byzantine Iconoclasm: Definition & Overview
Byzantine icons are beautiful and have a rich history. However, not everyone throughout history loved and respected icons. This lesson will discuss why some Byzantines wanted to destroy icons during the Iconoclasm.
7. Late Byzantine Art: Styles, Influences & Functions
What characterized art during the last centuries of the Byzantine Empire? Find out as you explore artistic styles and trends and then test your understanding with a brief quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Art 103: History of Western Art I course
- Understanding the Study of Western Art
- Visual Art During the Prehistoric Era: Paleolithic & Neolithic
- Art in Mesopotamia
- Art in Ancient Egypt
- Art in Aegean Culture & Ancient Greece
- Ancient Roman Architecture, Sculpture & Mosaics
- Jewish & Christian Art in Late Antiquity
- Art in the Islamic World
- Art During the Early Middle Ages in Europe
- Romanesque Art During the Middle Ages in Europe
- Gothic Art During the Middle Ages in Europe
- Studying for Art 103