About This Chapter
Asian Music & Art Lesson Plans - Chapter Summary
This chapter is designed to help teachers plan and supplement Asian music and art lessons. Using any computer or mobile device, you'll be able to access convenient lesson plan outlines on the following Asian music and art topics:
- Vietnamese music
- East Asian music
- Chinese dragon art
- Chinese New Year music
The chapter also includes supplemental lessons on different types of Vietnamese musical instruments, Chinese New Year songs and examples of ancient Chinese dragon art. These lesson can be easily incorporated into your classroom instruction.
How It Helps
- Lesson planning: Streamlines your planning for an Asian art/music curriculum by providing helpful resources all in one convenient location.
- Additional resources: Includes supplemental lessons on a variety of Asian art and music topics, which can be used in the classroom or assigned as homework.
- Student engagement: The entertaining lessons present Asian art and music topics in a manner that's enjoyable for students and keep them interested in the topics at hand.
How It Works
This helpful resource offers teachers lesson plan resources with relevant tools to make planning Asian music and art lessons easy.
- Use lesson plan outlines for specific Asian music and art topics you want to cover in class.
- Formulate your Asian music and art class outline using the suggested classroom tools offered in the lesson plans.
- Share the related Asian music and art lessons with students in class to make learning fun and engaging.
- Use related lesson quizzes to ensure your students understand the most important Asian music and art concepts from the lessons.
- Engage your students with relevant Asian music and art activities, discussion questions or other materials found in the lesson plan outline.
1. Vietnamese Music Lesson Plan
This lesson introduces students to Vietnamese music and instruments. Students will listen to recordings of Vietnamese music and instruments and will then work in groups to create presentations comparing Vietnamese music to a popular musical genre.
2. Vietnamese Music: Instruments & Types
Have you ever heard of a sixteen-string instrument called a dan tranh? How about a type of royal court music called nha nhac? Both are important elements of Vietnamese music. In this lesson, explore unique types of Vietnamese music and instruments.
3. East Asian Music Lesson Plan
With this lesson plan, your students are going to be exposed to East Asian music. They will learn to distinguish the trends of East Asian music and will research traditional musical compositions.
4. Chinese Painting Lesson Plan
In this lesson, students will explore the art of Ancient Chinese scroll painting. They will also learn how to identify its style characteristics and then create their own scroll story painting.
5. Chinese New Year Music Lesson Plan
This lesson introduces students to Chinese New Year music. Students will compare and contrast the holiday's music with other musical genres and make their own bolang gu to create a song, as well as create posters about instruments used to make Chinese New Year music.
6. Chinese New Year Music: Instruments & Songs
How do you ring in the beginning of a new year? Do you sing? Did you know the Chinese people have their own special New Year? In this lesson, learn about songs and instruments that are a part of Chinese New Year music.
7. Chinese Dragon Art Lesson Plan
What is the significance of the dragon in Chinese art? This lesson plan uses a text lesson to outline key points about Chinese art and its reliance on the dragon as a symbol. An activity asks students to create their own art featuring the dragon.
8. Ancient Chinese Dragon Art
Dragons breathe fire and provoke terror, right? Not in Chinese art! Dragons have been important symbols in Chinese culture for thousands of years. In this lesson, let's explore ancient Chinese dragon art.
9. Chinese Music Lesson Plan
Give students a deeper appreciation for and understanding of Chinese music with this lesson plan. Students will read an informational text lesson on the topic, listen to Chinese music samples, then do a project to demonstrate understanding.
10. Chinese Music: Instruments & Styles
Have you ever played an instrument? Do you know what a pipa is? Chinese music uses many unique instruments. In this lesson, explore different styles of Chinese music and some instruments used in them.
11. Chinese Dance Lesson Plan
Dance has played an important role in Chinese history and culture. Through group reading and discussion, your students will explore this art. They will then practice and perform a simplified lion dance in groups.
12. Chinese Dance: History, Music & Costumes
Dance is a millenary tradition of the Chinese culture. In this lesson, learn about Chinese dance, its cultural significance and history. Also, examine the music and costumes that are commonly found in the different dances.
13. Chinese Percussion Music Lesson Plan
This lesson plan is a tool for helping students learn about Chinese percussion instruments. Students will answer questions about a text, learn proper terminology for different types of instruments, and create their own instruments.
14. Chinese Percussion: Music & Instruments
Have you ever played a gong? Do you know what a bangu is? In this lesson, explore different kinds of Chinese percussion instruments and learn how they're used to make music.
15. Chinese Poetry Lesson Plan
This lesson plan will introduce your students to Chinese poetry, including its history and major styles. They will analyze several poems and take time to practice writing their own.
16. Chinese Poetry: Examples, Forms & History
Poetry is a major art form of China, but how much do you really know about it? In this lesson, we'll examine the history of Chinese poetry and check out some important forms.
17. Chinese Puppets Lesson Plan
In this lesson plan, students will learn about Chinese puppets. After reading and discussing an informational text, students will design Chinese puppets and perform a puppet show.
18. Chinese Puppets: History & Types
Have you ever put on a puppet show? Did you know Chinese culture includes several kinds of wonderful puppets? In this lesson, explore the history of Chinese puppets and learn about different types.
19. Chinese Scroll Art Lesson Plan
Teach students about the beautiful art of Chinese scroll painting with this lesson plan. Students will read a text lesson that explains key facts about scroll painting, analyze samples, then create an original scroll painting.
20. Music of India Lesson Plan
Students will explore the wonderful sounds of Indian music and learn about the instruments and musicians who contributed to its success. Students will read the lesson, participate in discussion questions, complete an activity, and take a quiz.
21. Mandala Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan to help you teach your students about the mandala. Students will read our text lesson to learn about the symbols, patterns, and uses for mandalas then apply concepts to an activity.
22. What is a Mandala? - Definition & Designs
Mandalas are popular symbols in India, and are gaining popularity elsewhere as well. But, what exactly are they? In this lesson, we'll explore the meanings within the mandala, and see how they are used in spiritual circles.
23. Indian Music: Instruments & Artists
This lesson gives a brief overview of the two major categories of Indian music and some of its most famous performers, as well as the instruments they use and the influences they have had over other musicians, both in India and abroad.
24. Indian Music Lesson Plan
In this lesson plan, students listen to examples of Indian music, learn the differences between the different types, and do collaborative research and presentations to understand more about the instruments and important figures of Indian music.
25. Indian Art Lesson Plan
The Indian subcontinent has a rich history of art, which your students are going to explore with this lesson plan. After reading about and discussing Indian art, they will curate art exhibits for different artistic eras in Indian history.
26. Indian Art Lesson for Kids: History & Types
In this lesson, we just scratch the surface of the fascinating and varied world of Indian art. Whether its paintings or architecture or sculpture, Indian art is as variable as its people.
27. Indian Art: History, Types & Styles
In this lesson, we'll explore the interesting art history of the Indian subcontinent, from the earliest cave art to modern examples. We'll examine architecture, paintings, and sculptures and discover the main features of these works.
28. Asian Heritage Month Activities
May is designated as Asian Pacific American Heritage Month. In this resource, you will find activities to help students across all grade levels learn more about the Asian Pacific culture and to celebrate this month.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the World Music & Art Lesson Plans & Activities course
- Japanese Art & Music Lesson Plans
- Caribbean Music & Art Lesson Plans
- Russian Art & Music Lesson Plans
- Greek & Roman Art & Architecture Lesson Plans
- Cultural Art & Music Lesson Plans
- Native American Art & Music Lesson Plans & Resources
- Latin American Art & Music Lesson Plans
- African Art & Music Lesson Plans