About This Chapter
Assessing Classroom Behavior - Chapter Summary
Allow our instructors to use this chapter to explain the purposes and approaches to assessing classroom behavior. As you go through this chapter, some of the topics you will review include:
- Behavioral assessment strategies and examples
- The definition of target behavior
- The steps for functional behavioral assessment
Even if you only have a limited amount of time to learn about classroom behavior assessment, our teaching resources are the most effective tools for you to use. We offer short lessons that pack in all the essential details in 10 minutes or less. Furthermore, since we keep all of the information online, you can use almost any device to access our lessons at home or on the go.
How It Helps
- Provides structure: Behavior may seem like a subjective concept, but our lessons help you develop clear guidelines for accurately assessing classroom behavior.
- Teaches effective strategies: By learning different techniques to review and measure classroom behavior, you can identify behavior patterns and determine ways to improve overall behavior.
- Promotes student understanding: These lessons give you a guide on how to assess behavior, and you can explain your assessment strategy to students as you establish classroom behavior expectations.
By completing this chapter, you will know how to:
- Determine which to use for behavioral assessment
- Establish target behaviors in your classroom
- Outline the processes for functional behavior assessment
1. What Is a Behavioral Assessment? - Definition, Tools & Example
Behavioral assessment is used to observe, describe, explain and predict behavior. This lesson explains the process and application of behavioral assessment and tests your understanding with a brief quiz.
2. Target Behavior: Definition & Example
In this lesson, we will discuss target behaviors. Learn more about target behaviors, how they are used in the field of applied behavioral analysis, and criteria.
3. Functional Behavior Assessment: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn the definition of a functional behavior assessment (FBA) and how it functions as a tool to help children replace problem behaviors with more desirable behaviors. You will learn the purpose of an FBA, as well as the components of or steps in conducting an FBA.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Positive Behavior Support in the Classroom course