About This Chapter
Assessments in Health Education Programs - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll find lessons on health education program assessment that you can use at your convenience. Short videos cover the importance of assessments in education and how assessment data can be shared with stakeholders and students effectively. This chapter has been created to assist you in achieving these goals:
- Improve health education using assessment
- Outline the importance of assessment in education
- Define academic readiness and the role assessments play in it
- Give the definition and examples of authentic assessments
- Share assessment data with stakeholders and students
- Summarize assessment results and understand basic statistics of score distribution
Studying is easy with help from this mobile-friendly chapter. Access the lessons any time and work at your own pace. Along with each lesson, we've included a multiple-choice quiz that will help you assess your knowledge before test day. Reach out to an expert through the Dashboard if you need any assistance along the way.
1. The Importance of Assessment in Education
Assessment is a critical piece of the learning process. This lesson gives an overview of assessment, why it benefits both teachers and students, and the three most common forms of assessment.
2. Using Assessments to Improve Health Education
In this lesson, you'll learn the value of newer assessment types compared to conventional assessment used in health education. You'll also explore how they can help improve health education.
3. Academic Readiness: Definition & Assessment
In this lesson, we will define academic readiness, discuss the factors that determine academic readiness, and discuss strategies for supporting and assessing student readiness.
4. Authentic Assessments: Definition & Examples
Authentic assessments are those which involve applying learned information to new situations. In this lesson, we will define the characteristics of an authentic assessment and discuss examples.
5. Sharing Assessment Data with Students & Stakeholders
In this lesson, we will discuss some of the misunderstandings stakeholders have about testing and score reports to identify ways that teachers can prepare to communicate outcomes of student assessments with students, parents, and colleagues.
6. Summarizing Assessment Results: Understanding Basic Statistics of Score Distribution
Summarizing test results is a critical component of the assessment process. In order for results to be used effectively, they must be summarized in a way that allows educators to compare the achievement of one student to others. This lesson will describe the first step in summarizing results: understanding the basic statistics of score distribution.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NYSTCE Health Education (073): Practice and Study Guide course
- Human Growth & Development
- Childhood Growth & Development
- Adolescence Growth & Development
- Adult Growth & Development
- Pregnancy, Prenatal Care & Childbirth
- Introduction to Health & Wellness
- Introduction to Disease & Illness
- Mental Distress, Depression & Suicide
- Basic Principles of Nutrition
- Carbohydrates in Nutrition
- Lipids in Nutrition
- Protein in Nutrition
- Water as a Nutrient
- Minerals & Nutrition
- Vitamins in Nutrition
- Eating Disorders & Treatments
- Benefits of Physical Fitness
- Health Risk Education
- Injury Prevention Strategies
- Environmental Health & Protection
- Substance Use & Abuse
- Human Sexuality & Health
- Communication Processes & Skills
- Family & Social Systems
- Discrimination, Aggression & Conflict
- Media & Advertising of Health Information
- Resources for Health Information
- Health Care Systems
- Governmental Health Regulations
- Understanding Health Education Programs
- Education Strategies & Methods
- NYSTCE Health Education Flashcards