About This Chapter
Assessments & Tests for ESL & ELL Students - Chapter Summary
Help your students feel confident in their ability to excel on various tests while improving your assessment process in the classroom using the teacher resources in this chapter. You'll analyze various assessment types for ESL and ELL students, including informal, alternative, performance-based, vocabulary and portfolio assessments. This chapter also explores assessment strategies and provides tips you can use to prepare students for placement, standardized and admission tests.
Choose any number of lessons to review based on your specific classroom and curriculum needs. Benefit from the ability to access this chapter anytime 24/7 using any computer or mobile device.
How It Helps
- Helps gauge student progress: Lessons provide you with tips and strategies you can use to create quality assessments that effectively gauge your students' progress.
- Enhances test preparations: This chapter offers information to help you prepare your students to take placement, admissions and other tests as English language learners.
- Offers convenience: Enjoy access to assessment and test resources for ESL and ELL students in one convenient location.
By the end of this chapter, you will be able to:
- Include ESL reading comprehension tests in your curriculum
- Ensure your students are prepared for standardized testing
- Understand ELL accommodations for the ACT and SAT
- Develop informal, performance-based, portfolio and alternative assessments for your English language learners
- Create vocabulary tests for ELL students
- Describe and address assessment issues that arise with English language learners
- Detail examples of authentic assessments for English language learners
- Utilize ESL reading assessment strategies
- Assess ELL students for special education
- Use sample questions to prepare students for ESL speaking and placement tests
1. Formative Assessments for ELL Students
Need some new ideas or just a refresher about formative assessment methods for ELL students? This lesson introduces the concept of formative assessment and offers practical strategies for implementation.
2. ESL Reading Comprehension Tests
ESL reading comprehension tests can help students demonstrate their knowledge of English, usually by reading through provided texts and then answering questions related to a passage. Read on to learn about some of these tests and how students can prepare.
3. ESL Reading Assessment Strategies
This lesson describes some reading assessment strategies you can apply to ensure comprehension skills in ESL students of varied levels. These strategies provide you with instant feedback on students' progress.
4. Preparing English Language Learners for Standardized Testing
English language learners (ELLs) may dread standardized testing in English, unless they have proper preparation. This lesson helps teachers understand how ELLs approach and perform on standardized exams and goes over how to prepare them for these tests.
5. ACT Accommodations for ELL Students
Beginning in Fall 2017, the ACT will offer accommodations for English language learners. Check out this article to learn more about what's in store for ELL students and explore other types of testing accommodations currently available.
6. SAT Accommodations for English Language Learners
English language learners sitting for the SAT may be able to take advantage of testing accommodations. Read on to learn more about these alterations, as well as other adjustments that may be added soon.
7. Informal Assessments for English Language Learners
Informal assessments are a valuable way to check student progress in a relaxed setting. This lesson provides teachers with informal assessments specifically designed for use with ELLs (English language learners).
8. Alternative Assessments for English Language Learners
Alternative assessments allow English language learner (ELL) students to demonstrate their learning. In this lesson, teachers of ELL students will learn some strategies for offering alternative assessments in their classroom.
9. Performance-Based Assessments for English Language Learners
In this lesson, teachers will learn about implementing performance-based assessments in the classroom. Performance-based assessments are ideal for English language learner (ELL) students who have limited English proficiency.
10. Vocabulary Assessments for ELL Students
For English Language Learners (ELLs), vocabulary is the basis for learning English. In this lesson, teachers will learn about how to use a variety of vocabulary assessments specifically designed for ELLs.
11. Assessment Issues with English Language Learners
In this lesson, teachers will review some common issues that English language learner (ELL) students often face when taking both content-area and standardized assessments. This lesson also includes some strategies for teachers to help ELL students overcome these issues.
12. Authentic Assessment Examples for English Language Learners
In this lesson, teachers will learn about the concept of using authentic assessments with English language learners (ELLs) in the classroom as opposed to traditional standardized tests. This lesson will include examples of authentic assessments for language arts, math, science, and social studies.
13. Portfolio Assessments for English Language Learners
A student portfolio is a collection of artifacts that demonstrates progress and growth over a period of time. This lesson describes how teachers can use portfolios as alternative assessments for English language learner (ELL) students.
14. Assessing ELL Students for Special Education
Teachers of English Language Learners face unique challenges in identifying students who require special education services. This lesson describes a process for fair and accurate identification of English Language Learners with special needs.
15. Speaking Test Sample Questions for ESL Students
For many English as a Second Language (ESL) students, the ability to speak and understand English is the primary goal of their language study. In this lesson, teachers will learn a variety of speaking test questions and formats for assessing students.
16. ESL Placement Test Sample Questions
ESL placement tests are a comprehensive way to assess language skills. In this lesson, we will demonstrate some sample placement test questions to practice with your ESL students.
17. What Are The TELPAS Language Proficiency Levels?
The Texas English Language Proficiency Assessment System (TELPAS) charts the progress of students learning the English language. Read on for a detailed description of the various levels included in this system.
18. What is TELPAS? - Definition & Resources
TELPAS stands for Texas English Language Proficiency Assessment System. Let's explore the performance-based holistically rated exam used every spring to assess English language proficiency of English language learners.
19. TELPAS Writing Prompt Samples
The Texas English Language Proficiency Assessment System (TELPAS) measures English language proficiency of limited English proficient students. These writing prompt samples will help you understand how to collect writing samples for your students.
20. Understanding TELPAS Scores
TELPAS scores may seem complicated, but these figures are easy to read if you understand the information being conveyed. Read on for more information on the content of the score reports for these assessments.
21. How to Use the WIDA Standards
What's WIDA? How does it mesh with Common Core and state standards? How do you use it? In this lesson, you will learn the basics of WIDA standards and how to use them to help English Language Learners in the classroom.
22. What Are WIDA Standards?
WIDA standards are designed to help measure the academic progress of English language learners. Keep reading for more information on these standards and how they are used in the classroom.
23. WIDA Can Do Descriptors for Grades 9-12
The WIDA Can Do Descriptors for grades 9-12 contain several different reading, writing, listening, and speaking tasks that ELL students should be capable of handling. Keep reading for specific examples of these activities.
24. WIDA Can Do Descriptors for Grades 3-5
WIDA's Can Do Descriptors serve as guidelines for English proficiency by age group and grade; these help educators develop appropriate lessons, assessments and goals for their English Language Learning (ELL) students. Check out this article for an overview of the grade 3-5 Can Do Descriptors.
25. WIDA Can Do Descriptors for Grade 1
WIDA Can Do Descriptors for first graders include a number of tasks that ELL students should be able to accomplish. Read on for more information on how these descriptors are organized and what types of tasks they include.
26. WIDA Can Do Descriptors for Grade 2
WIDA Can Do Descriptors provide examples of classroom activities that ELL students should be able to complete at each level. Read on for more specific information on these expectations.
27. WIDA Can Do Descriptors for Grades 6-8
WIDA Can Do Descriptors for middle schoolers lay out a series of activities and tasks to chart the progress of ELL students. Keep reading for more information on the types of tasks that students are expected to complete and how they are organized.
28. WIDA Can Do Descriptors for Kindergarten
CAN DO Descriptors for kindergarten contain specific examples of tasks that students should be able to complete. Read on for more information on these standards for ELL students.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Resources for Teaching English Language Learners course