About This Chapter
ASSET College Algebra: Exponential Functions - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you will review the basics of exponential functions as they may be found in a college-level algebra course. A valuable tool in your studies for the College Algebra portion of the ASSET exam, these lessons will address the following:
- Rules of exponents
- Five exponential properties
- Simplifying expressions that feature exponents
- Explanation of an exponential function
- Difference between exponential growth and decay
- Transforming exponential functions
- Natural base e and its uses
- Solving exponential functions
- How to calculate exponential growth and rate
Led by an expert instructor, these brief video lessons provide a creative way to visualize the information you're being taught. As each lesson is accompanied by a full transcript, you have the ability to progress through the chapter at your own pace. You may practice using your knowledge by taking the short interactive quizzes at the end of each lesson and the cumulative chapter exam at the end of your studies.
ASSET College Algebra: Exponential Functions Objectives
The ASSET exams are meant to assess your knowledge level of basic information to help place you in courses within postsecondary programs. One of the ASSET Advanced Mathematics exams, the ASSET College Algebra test features 25 questions. One of the aspects of college algebra on which you will be tested is exponential functions.
By carefully studying the lessons in this chapter, you should be exposed to each facet of exponential functions on which you may be tested in the exam. In addition, using the lesson quizzes and chapter exam to practice your knowledge will serve as a valuable step in your study process as they are in the same multiple-choice format as you'll find on the ASSET exam.
1. What Are Exponents? - Definition, Properties & Rules
Exponents are the mathematical shorthand that tells us to multiply the same number by itself for a specified number of times. This lesson will not only explain how the exponent works but also discuss the seven distinct properties, or rules, that govern its use.
2. What Are the Five Main Exponent Properties?
We'll look at the five important exponent properties and an example of each. You can think of them as the order of operations for exponents. Learn how to handle math problems with exponents here!
3. How to Simplify Expressions with Exponents
In this video, we will put all of the exponent properties we have learned together. Don't let lots of numbers and letters confuse you! Simplifying exponents can be easy and fun!
4. What Is an Exponential Function?
Brand new technologies don't always catch on right away because they can be expensive and don't always work as well as they should. But once the price comes down, and they start to work better, it doesn't take very long before it seems like everyone has one. Learn about the numbers behind this, exponential functions!
5. Exponential Growth vs. Decay
How is it that it only takes four years for our computer to go from top-of-the-line to almost worthless? Well, it has something to do with what's called exponential decay, which we'll learn about here!
6. Transformation of Exponential Functions: Examples & Summary
All exponential functions follow a basic graph. But when you make changes to the function, you will see the graph shift and make changes. Watch this video lesson to learn how to easily identify these changes or transformations.
7. Using the Natural Base e: Definition & Overview
In this video lesson, you will learn what kind of number 'e' is. Also learn the formal name for this unique number. See what kind of graph the natural base 'e' graphs into, as well as the uses of these types of functions.
8. How to Solve Exponential Equations
Read this lesson to learn the steps you need to take to solve exponential equations. You'll see that it's not too difficult; you just need to make use of one other mathematical operation in order to solve your problems.
9. Calculating Rate and Exponential Growth: The Population Dynamics Problem
You know how the world population keeps increasing? It's increasing faster now than it was 100 or 1,000 years ago. In this lesson, learn how differential equations predict this type of exponential growth.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ASSET College Algebra Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- ASSET College Algebra: Graphing Polynomials
- ASSET College Algebra: Introduction to Functions
- ASSET College Algebra: Operations with Functions
- ASSET College Algebra: Understanding Factorials
- ASSET College Algebra: Using Complex Numbers
- ASSET College Algebra: Linear Equations & Inequalities
- ASSET College Algebra: Rational Expressions & Functions
- ASSET College Algebra: Polynomial Functions & Graphs
- ASSET College Algebra: Trigonometry
- ASSET College Algebra Test Flashcards