About This Chapter
ASSET College Algebra: Linear Equations & Inequalities - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter are designed to prepare you for linear equations and inequalities questions on the ASSET College Algebra test. Watch them to make sure you're ready for the following on the exam:
- Defining the linear equation
- Understanding intercepts, standard form and graphing the linear equation
- Analyzing abstract algebraic examples and going from a graph to a rule
- Demonstrating how to graph undefined slope, zero slope and more
- Writing a linear equation and identifying the equation of a line using point-slope formula
- Describing an inequality and graphing 1- and 2-variable inequalities
- Examining and using a system of equations
Instructors present the lessons in a comprehensive manner, offering the definitions, mathematical operations and examples you need to understand linear equations and inequalities. Revisit the lessons as often as needed to ensure you're studying at a pace that's comfortable for you.
ASSET College Algebra: Linear Equations & Inequalities Chapter Objectives
This ASSET College Algebra: Linear Equations & Inequalities chapter prepares you to answer questions on this multiple-choice test. The test consists of 25 questions broken into trigonometry, college algebra and intermediate algebra classifications. Technical schools and community colleges use this test, along with six others, to place students in their institutions. The ACT-developed tests last 25 minutes each and use a paper-pencil format.
Use the lessons in this chapter to ensure you fully comprehend linear equations and inequalities. You can review the lessons as videos, or access them in their transcript format if you'd prefer a written version of the materials. Timelines are available that allow you to review specific portions of the videos by using video tags to identify and skip to key topics. Take the self-assessment quiz with each lesson to test your comprehension of the lessons.
1. What is a Linear Equation?
Most cars won't be able to run for more than 250,000 miles, so how much longer will your car live? Linear Equations are the most basic kind of algebraic function and can help you answer questions exactly like this. Learn about what they look like, how they come up in your life and why they are powerful tools.
2. Linear Equations: Intercepts, Standard Form and Graphing
Do you know what to do if an equation doesn't look like y=mx+b?! If not, then this video is for you. Chances are the equation is in standard form, so we'll learn how to use standard form equations, how to graph them and why they can be helpful.
3. Abstract Algebraic Examples and Going from a Graph to a Rule
Just because you now know what a linear equation is doesn't mean that you are a master! This video will help you learn how to apply your knowledge of linear equations in more abstract algebraic ways.
4. Graphing Undefined Slope, Zero Slope and More
There are two special cases when it comes to slopes on the xy plane: horizontal and vertical lines. Without any more information, these examples can be pretty confusing. But with a little instruction, they end up being some of the easiest lines to graph!
5. How to Write a Linear Equation
Simply knowing how to take a linear equation and graph it is only half of the battle. You should also be able to come up with the equation if you're given the right information.
6. Equation of a Line Using Point-Slope Formula
It's time for a road trip to Las Vegas, and after four hours of driving at 60 mph ... Are we there yet? Learn the point-slope form of the equation of a line to help answer this age-old question.
7. What is an Inequality?
Deciding how to spend your money can be a tricky thing. Should you save it, invest it, or enjoy it? Learn how inequalities can help you make your decision!
8. How to Graph 1- and 2-Variable Inequalities
So an inequality is just an equation with a less than or greater than symbol. But what is the difference between 1 and 2 variable inequalities? What does have a greater than or equal to symbol change? When do you use a number line instead of a coordinate plane? Get those answers here!
9. Graphing Inequalities: Practice Problems
If you're already pretty familiar with what inequalities are and just looking for a place to practice your skills, this is the place. This lesson covers topics like 1-variable, 2-variable, compound, and systems of inequalities.
10. What is a System of Equations?
So what happens if we want to compare more than one equation? Welcome to a 'system' of equations! Learn what one is, how to solve them and when they come up in real life.
11. How Do I Use a System of Equations?
There are a few classic algebra word problems, such as the one about two trains traveling at different speeds. In this lesson, you'll learn how to take a word problem and convert it into the system of equations that will allow you to find the answer using either substitution or elimination.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ASSET College Algebra Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- ASSET College Algebra: Graphing Polynomials
- ASSET College Algebra: Introduction to Functions
- ASSET College Algebra: Operations with Functions
- ASSET College Algebra: Exponential Functions
- ASSET College Algebra: Understanding Factorials
- ASSET College Algebra: Using Complex Numbers
- ASSET College Algebra: Rational Expressions & Functions
- ASSET College Algebra: Polynomial Functions & Graphs
- ASSET College Algebra: Trigonometry
- ASSET College Algebra Test Flashcards