About This Chapter
ASSET Elementary Algebra: Factoring Polynomials - Chapter Summary
The clutter of polynomials can be reduced through the process of factoring, just like with simple expressions. This set of video lessons in the ASSET Elementary Algebra course engages your brain with a thorough guide to factoring and ensures that you know the content that will be seen on the actual exam. Topics in this chapter will include the following:
- Examples of factoring
- Finding prime factorization and greatest common factor
- Steps of factoring by grouping
- Factoring polynomial expressions
- Properties of polynomial functions
These video lessons are designed to be viewed not only on your computer but your mobile device as well, so you are easily able to study the course on the go when you have some spare time. In addition, if you ever find that you are having trouble with a certain area of the chapter, a team of factoring experts at Study.com are available with one click on your dashboard.
1. What is Factoring in Algebra? - Definition & Example
Factoring with ordinary numbers involves knowing that 6 is the product of 2 and 3. But what about factoring in algebra? In this lesson, we'll learn the essential elements of algebra factoring.
2. How to Find the Prime Factorization of a Number
The prime factorization of a number involves breaking that number down to its smallest parts. This lesson will show you two different ways to discover the prime factorization of any number.
3. How to Find the Greatest Common Factor
If the factors of a number are the different numbers that you can multiply together to get that original number, then the greatest common factor of two numbers is just the biggest one that both have in common. See some examples of what I'm talking about here!
4. Factoring By Grouping: Steps, Verification & Examples
How do you factor an expression if all the terms don't share a common factor? Grouping! In this lesson, we'll learn how to use grouping to help factor expressions.
5. Polynomial Functions: Properties and Factoring
Everything from projectile motion to trigonometric functions can be described by polynomials. Review factoring, polynomials and quadratic functions in this lesson.
6. Factoring Polynomial Expressions
When it comes to factoring polynomials, there are several methods to choose from depending on what kind of polynomial you are looking at. Watch this video lesson to learn how to identify and use the appropriate method.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ASSET Elementary Algebra Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- ASSET Elementary Algebra: Algebraic Expressions
- ASSET Elementary Algebra: Solving Quadratic Equations
- ASSET Elementary Algebra: Polynomial Operations
- ASSET Elementary Algebra: Integers
- ASSET Elementary Algebra: Integer Exponents
- ASSET Elementary Algebra: Rational Expressions
- ASSET Elementary Algebra: Linear Equations
- ASSET Elementary Algebra Test Flashcards